Send Topic Print
Our Village Forum (Read 1106 times)
marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Our Village Forum
03. Sep 2017 at 19:07

Does anyone know why the members of this Forum rarely post on here anymore?

For me, the obvious choice of keeping a finger on the pulse of what's happening in Cotford, has been to check on this site but, more recently I'm having to check village notice boards or the web- pages of other Cotford-based organisations (i.e.the Parish Council, School, Church and The Chapel) for news.

Just wondering why, when there are so many residents registered here, the chance to interact in conversation is so sparse....

I suppose I'm a little bit afraid that if we don't use it, we'll lose it...... Undecided

IP Logged

Pete

CSL
Re: Our Village Forum
Reply #1 - 03. Sep 2017 at 20:36

You're right Marilyn and it is a shame. I am a member on a number of interest/hobby related forums and they can be very useful, informative and fun.

When at work in Burham on Sea I occasionally look at their town forum and it is generally very active with a whole range of discussions of local interest. Admittedly we are smaller here in Cotford, but surely the fact we all choose to live here gives us something in common.

I must admit that I log-in here fairly infrequently as there is so little going on. If other members are doing the same then it'll only ever get quieter and quieter. Maybe I should post up a few random and controversial topics to try to stir up a bit of chat!  Smiley

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #2 - 04. Sep 2017 at 09:27

I still check it most days Marilyn.  Smiley

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Reply #3 - 04. Sep 2017 at 12:30

I look at the Forum  every day,  Marilyn  -  there does seem to be a decline in interest in  village matters.  In the recent  post about  the proposed development of NHS land in Dene Road ,  over 400 people read it, but only 5 people commented.   Presumably the rest  are either in favour of more development, or simply don't care !

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #4 - 04. Sep 2017 at 13:17

Yes, Brooklynodog, I often read your posts on here (...and it's how I came to meet your dogs! Smiley) Just proves what a useful facility it is for matters of a practical nature...

...and I read your message about the plans for development on the NHS land, TonyM. I agree that it would be interesting to know how others feel about proposals for the village.

I just think that someone keeps this site running for us and, if it was me putting time and effort (and I doubt it runs on fresh air!) into keeping it going for the benefit of the people living in this village and saw it so little used, I would feel quite despondent and might think "...is it worth it...?"  Undecided

Besides all that, in the 'olden days' there used to be cheerful banter which could lift the clouds from a day.... Wink

I wonder what's changed............

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #5 - 04. Sep 2017 at 20:07

That`s right Marilyn, when it started it was a really busy forum. I believe a lot of newcomers maybe are not aware of it as a resource?
The little ones are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow by the way. Would you like some tomatoes?  Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #6 - 04. Sep 2017 at 20:34

...and that's another little perk...fresh produce from your garden! I reckon you should set up a stall and sell some, Brooklynodog...

Yes, I'd love some tomatoes...thank you! Tell the dogs I'm looking forward to seeing them, too... Smiley

....so how can we let newcomers to the village know about the Forum...?

IP Logged

Stu
Advanced Member

Cotford St.Luke
Reply #7 - 05. Sep 2017 at 12:19

I flick past the forum every day (not logged in) and used to like the buy and sell page, but this has seemed to of dried up now.

I think a lot of people use the "Cotford News, buy and sell page" on Facebook. Do we know who runs the page? Can they put a banner on the facebook page directing people to the Forum.

But looking at some of the arguments that happen on the Facebook page, I think admin would have to appoint some moderators to monitor the site in case threads get out of control.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #8 - 05. Sep 2017 at 12:56

Stu wrote on 05. Sep 2017 at 12:19:
I think a lot of people use the "Cotford News, buy and sell page" on Facebook. Do we know who runs the page? Can they put a banner on the facebook page directing people to the Forum.

But looking at some of the arguments that happen on the Facebook page, I think admin would have to appoint some moderators to monitor the site in case threads get out of control.

There is a moderator for the Forum, Stu and I know from personal experience that threads are monitored and pulled in by the reins if things get too heated. I was guilty of over-stepping the mark once under a topic about car parking in the village --- and the subject was (quite rightly) brought to a halt----

Your idea about putting a banner on the Cotford Buy and Sell Facebook page is good--- it's just a question of knowing who to ask to help with that---

I think the difference between Facebook and the Forum is that topics soon get buried in the busyness of Facebook whereas, with the Forum, they're catalogued and kept in a sort of archive---

While I'm here, I'd just like to offer a vote of thanks to the Administrator of this site. ----"Thank you!"
« Last Edit: 05. Sep 2017 at 16:37 by marilyn »  

IP Logged

Stu
Advanced Member

Cotford St.Luke
Reply #9 - 05. Sep 2017 at 14:05

And of course if it wasn't for the Forum I wouldn't have met you Marilyn. So thank you to Mr or Mrs Admin for this site.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #10 - 05. Sep 2017 at 16:40

...and I wouldn't have met your little ones, Stu.... Hope they've had a good first day back to the new school year...

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #11 - 06. Sep 2017 at 01:11

marilyn wrote on 05. Sep 2017 at 12:56:
There is a moderator for the Forum, Stu and I know from personal experience that threads are monitored and pulled in by the reins if things get too heated.

Guilty as charged!  Embarrassed

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #12 - 06. Sep 2017 at 07:21

Anvil wrote on 06. Sep 2017 at 01:11:
Guilty as charged!

(---but really it was the ones parking on the pavements who were guilty-----  Wink)

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #13 - 08. Sep 2017 at 08:52

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #14 - 08. Sep 2017 at 10:36

That's all well and good, but who is going to enforce it.  We never see a police officer or traffic officer in Cotford.

And I believe legislation already exists to convict vehicle owners of causing an obstruction by inconsiderate parking.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print