Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who, what, where, why. when! (Read 411 times)
MikeHadley

Who, what, where, why. when!
31. Mar 2017 at 09:45

Tower Villa, Cotford
, is the address for my late parents as noted on my birth certificate (April 1945).

Father was still in the RAF and mother was a nurse at the nearby hospital.

My sister and I are now curious about our past.

Can anyone recall this address/property? Does it still exist? Where is it /was it?

Any information, photos, clues to other sources would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Michael Hadley

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Re: Who, what, where, why. when!
Reply #1 - 31. Mar 2017 at 20:01

Cotford st luke as it is now didn't exist before the mid nineties. The name comes from a mix of the original name of the hospital, cotford lunatic asylum, and St Luke's chapel on the site. Cotford asylum was named from Cotford farm which was compulsory purchased in the late Victorian era. I am not sure when the hospital was renamed Tone Vale. I have not heard of a tower villa, but my guess would be that it was the western most house in West villas, this had the water tower for the hospital in its back garden which was demolished in the early 90's

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

MikeHadley

Re: Who, what, where, why. when!
Reply #2 - 01. Apr 2017 at 12:01

Thank you !

Not definitive, but seems very plausible. And thank you for the other info about the history - very interesting. Google has a long way to go before it catches up with the information available in the human memory - which I why I am putting down MY memories for my children before I forget what day of the week it is !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print