Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Garden Town ? (Read 1700 times)
TonyM
Extraordinary Member

New Garden Town ?
02. Jan 2017 at 12:08

And here's the topic for 2017:

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/14997477.New_garden_town_for_Taunton...

Is this going to affect us ? -  does anyone know anything ?

IP Logged

trophy3681
Advanced Member

Somerset UK
Re: New Garden Town ?
Reply #1 - 02. Jan 2017 at 16:11

"Taunton is among 14 areas across the country to get government backing for plans to build thousands of new homes set in so-called garden villages. Today ministers announced that Taunton Deane Borough Council would be given £350,000 to cover planning costs towards building new homes on sites already earmarked for development.
Plans are already in the pipeline to build houses at Monkton Heathfield, Comeytrowe, Trull and Staplegrove. The garden village scheme would link green space to housing estates and work areas through country parks, community woodland and recreation areas."

It looks as if it is all about making development plans (including those in the pipe line) incorporate more of the "countryside" in amongst the bricks and concrete, putting it crudely, so that the surroundings are more "green" and pleasant.

There was a similar movement after World War II where people were rehoused in freshly built, new and fully planned towns that were completely self-sufficient and provided for the community.

It looks like it will affect development and proposed developments on the periphery of Taunton.
It wouldn't appear to affect Cotford but that is only my take on things.
« Last Edit: 02. Jan 2017 at 18:54 by trophy3681 »  
IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #2 - 03. Jan 2017 at 09:29

On the news last night it stated that the Government were putting up £6M to fund 46000 affordable new homes.
So £125 per home makes them affordable?

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #3 - 03. Jan 2017 at 13:06

I'll believe it when I see it.  The original proposal for Cotford back in 1997 was for a sustainable Garden Village with a 'high street' of shops, facilities, etc.  But when the developer decided they didn't want to pay for it TDBC let houses be built on the land at Rogers Walk.

I don't believe this will affect us.    BTW - Are the proposals for phase 3 of Cotford still on the table?

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #4 - 03. Jan 2017 at 13:08

Nobody wrote on 03. Jan 2017 at 09:29:
On the news last night it stated that the Government were putting up £6M to fund 46000 affordable new homes.
So £125 per home makes them affordable?

£125?  I'll take a dozen Wink

You make the assumption that £6M will fully fund 46,000 houses.

And what is affordable?

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #5 - 04. Jan 2017 at 15:26

Taunton's already got its one, hasn't it? - Bathpool...?!!

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

Enq

Reply #6 - 06. Jan 2017 at 08:40

Jimmy wrote on 03. Jan 2017 at 13:06:
I don't believe this will affect us.    BTW - Are the proposals for phase 3 of Cotford still on the table?

As far as I'm aware they've been 'adopted' into the formal plan now.

60 houses in the fields that stretch from the top of the village down to the hospital, of which 25% must be affordable. Plus six employment 'starter units' because they feel "Cotford does not benefit from a wide employment base within the Village."

IP Logged

TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Reply #7 - 06. Jan 2017 at 10:04

I am puzzled by  the  thinking behind "employment units"    -   How can  the planners know if there are village residents with the relevant qualifications and experience  to fill the jobs to be provided by the as yet unknown future employers ?     It is more likely that employees for such  ventures will commute to CSL from elsewhere,  thus increasing local traffic.

There is also of course "local employment" a mile away in Bishops Lydeard.

More central government "box ticking" ?

IP Logged

Enq

Reply #8 - 06. Jan 2017 at 23:14

TonyM wrote on 06. Jan 2017 at 10:04:
I am puzzled by  the  thinking behind "employment units"    -   How can  the planners know if there are village residents with the relevant qualifications and experience  to fill the jobs to be provided by the as yet unknown future employers ?     It is more likely that employees for such  ventures will commute to CSL from elsewhere,  thus increasing local traffic.

There is also of course "local employment" a mile away in Bishops Lydeard.

More central government "box ticking" ?

I expect they have quotas for this stuff, so there probably is an element of box ticking.

They have failed to understand the concept of a 'rural village'. People move to rural villages to get away from 'employment units'.

Either TDBC has had many letters from Cotford residents moaning about the lack of employment opportunities in the village or they've just unilaterally decided we're going to get some 'employment units' to help them out with their quotas and we'd better jolly well like it. I suspect the latter.

I appreciate there's a housing problem but there's a danger that places like Cotford just end up as part of an urban sprawl. I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years or so we're joined up with Bishops Lydeard at one end and Norton Fitzwarren at the other.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print