Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Chapel - Don't bother if you have an allergy (Read 9479 times)
Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Re: The Chapel - Don't bother if you have an allergy
Reply #15 - 16. May 2015 at 09:45

I think that the present incumbents at The Chapel have gone to great lengths to improve the appearance of the building and it's surrounds. Carping on about the size of the Bin Tidy is pathetic. Surely it is a great improvement on the previous situation where the bins were unscreened with nothing to prevent their contents being scattered by the winds. 

IP Logged

D Matthews

Reply #16 - 16. May 2015 at 09:55

Thank you Spangles for your post.

Nobody I have accepted that the present owners have greatly improved the Chapel and its surrounds but the fact remains:
1. the structure requires planning permission as it exceeds the permitted height.
2. the rubbish will still be screened if the structure is lowered so it is more aesthetically pleasing.
3 I do not consider that suggesting the structure is more in keeping with its surrounds is pathetic. A simple alteration will mean planning permission will not be required and the bin tidy  will not dominate the car park.

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #17 - 17. May 2015 at 09:41

either way its better than the blasted pub being empty like it was all those years ago!
I agree planning laws are there for a reason, however for a 'temporary' wooden structure i don't really see retrospective planning being an issue, if they were to apply.

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #18 - 17. May 2015 at 11:37

Maybe you would rather them take it down and we look at a row of lovely attractive bins instead. The current owners have improved the site and it is a lot more attractive to look at now than it has ever been. Also bin stores have to have a certain height or else the bin men will not collect from them. At least they are keeping everything tidy.  Also they need it to be that height to enable people to be able to walk into it to put the rubbish into the bins. They can't exactly crawl on all fours to do this.
« Last Edit: 17. May 2015 at 18:00 by itsmeagain »  

IP Logged

Administrator
Administrator

cotford st luke
Reply #19 - 17. May 2015 at 18:13

Administrator wrote on 07. May 2015 at 20:36:
I'm hoping to go soon with a coeliac so I'll check when I book I guess just to make sure.
I have eaten quite a few times myself though and been very impressed.

Well, lunch today was a great success with a coeliac and a mussel allergy in our group, the waiting staff brought us the allergy list and were very helpful.
« Last Edit: 18. May 2015 at 08:42 by Administrator »  

The Administrator.
pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝsol ʇ,uop
IP Logged

D Matthews

Reply #20 - 18. May 2015 at 10:52

At the risk of repeating myself, there is no suggestion that the bin should be removed. Read my posts carefully and you will see that. Lowering the height somewhat would not mean people would have to crawl on hands and knees; that is just ridiculous.

So I totally agree and have gone out of my way to say the bin tidy is a good idea but surely it makes sense to lower it so that it does not dominate the vicinity and detract from the glorious architecture of the Chapel.
Since starting my post I have found that in fact lowering the structure is not enough.

Permitted Development facilitates the erection, construction, maintenance, improvement or alteration to a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure, providing such work accords with the following limitations:

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container  within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse. Other height restrictions apply where structure is more than two metres from boundary,
    Such development is not permitted under Permitted Development around a listed building

Planning laws are there for a reason. I have an interest in architecture and the environment especially where listed buildings are concerned like the Chapel. In the case of a listed building permission will need to be sought in any event so that any structure is sympathetic to the surrounds of the listed building. I imagine it would not be difficult to obtain planning permission as the structure hides the bins BUT I think the current height will be an issue.

IP Logged

meldrew
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #21 - 18. May 2015 at 12:25

I thought the chapel had been de-listed years ago.  Huh

IP Logged

D Matthews

Reply #22 - 19. May 2015 at 15:59

IP Logged

trophy3681
Advanced Member

Somerset UK
Reply #23 - 24. Jun 2015 at 22:21

Last night I took some friends from the USA to the Chapel and we all had a lovely meal in the Vestry. The Pad Thai meals were very tasty and the service was great with a lovely smile from the efficient yet friendly waitress.
Well done to all concerned for turning the Chapel into a place that really stands out from the rest. I am ashamed to admit that, although I am on the doorstep, this is my first visit to the Chapel under new ownership, but I shall definitely return.

It saved me cooking for the night and my visitors will be eternally grateful to the Chapel for that. Wink

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #24 - 23. Nov 2015 at 12:50

Shouldn't that be:  The Chapel - don't bother........?

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #25 - 23. Nov 2015 at 19:44

Well, I never have.

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #26 - 23. Nov 2015 at 20:22

Jimmy wrote on 23. Nov 2015 at 12:50:
Shouldn't that be:  The Chapel - don't bother........?

Quite uncalled for really as its all down to personal preference and as it is a very successful establishment I would say that a lot of people have bothered and liked.

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #27 - 15. Dec 2015 at 08:27

I understand the Chapel are now barring local people from entering because that local person went to a neighbouring establishment and suggested that it might be better than the Chapel!  Incredible!

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #28 - 15. Dec 2015 at 11:33

Jimmy wrote on 15. Dec 2015 at 08:27:
I understand the Chapel are now barring local people from entering because that local person went to a neighbouring establishment and suggested that it might be better than the Chapel!  Incredible!

Really...? Shocking, if true!

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print