Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Chapel - Don't bother if you have an allergy (Read 8485 times)
Cornish Rebellion

The Chapel - Don't bother if you have an allergy
07. May 2015 at 19:30

Although we have been assured on this forum by the owners and Facebook and the posters at the Chapel itself, unfortunately if you have an allergy it does not appear that they wish to accommodate you.

We visited this evening for our daughters birthday and when we asked if the food contained Gluten due to one of our party members being Coeliac, the waitress was not sure.  When she returned from the kitchen, we pretty much got a yes for everything due to the kitchen set up / prep methods.  No apology or obvious will to assist.  So no, although upfront the Chapel promotes itself that it caters for individuals needs, it certainly does not and doesn't seem to really care.

Being active members of many food intolerance websites and forums we will certainly be spreading the word - Don't bother going if you have an allergy. Angry

Definitely worth the five minute drive to the Orchard instead.

IP Logged

Administrator
Administrator

cotford st luke
Re: The Chapel - Don't bother if you have an allergy
Reply #1 - 07. May 2015 at 20:36

I'm hoping to go soon with a coeliac so I'll check when I book I guess just to make sure.
I have eaten quite a few times myself though and been very impressed.

The Administrator.
pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝsol ʇ,uop
IP Logged

Cornish Rebellion

Reply #2 - 07. May 2015 at 21:00

Unfortunately we got the impression that they didn't want to accommodate hence going for the blanket response that everything may have gluten in it.

I'm sure the food is great, it was just a shame they didn't want to cater for us.  We generally experience this type of service at fast food places and not pubs/restaurants.  The Orchard at Hilcommon are so helpful when we go there and nothing is too much trouble.  With only five minutes between the two, after this evening the short drive is definitely worth the better service.

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #3 - 07. May 2015 at 23:23

I'm sure if a phone call was made in advance they would help as much as they can.  This is taken from their web site so I'm sure they would do the same if a phone call was made:
To make a booking online, please use the time picker and calendar, indicate occasion and send any special requests in order for us to be ready for welcoming you!

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #4 - 08. May 2015 at 14:07

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

Cornish Rebellion

Reply #5 - 08. May 2015 at 19:19

itsmeagain wrote on 07. May 2015 at 23:23:
I'm sure if a phone call was made in advance they would help as much as they can.  This is taken from their web site so I'm sure they would do the same if a phone call was made:
To make a booking online, please use the time picker and calendar, indicate occasion and send any special requests in order for us to be ready for welcoming you!

Appreciate the comment Itsmeagain but they have a poster in the front door saying they are allergy aware and to mention when ordering at the table indicating we do not have to call in advance.

If I am honest, any kitchen worth its salt that cooks fresh food from scratch should be able to accommodate this and other intolerances / allergies on the demand.  Not suggesting they can deliver exactly as described on the menu, but often it is only one component that needs changing EG Substituting the fried chips cooked in the same fryer as gluten products with a piece of steak for an oven baked jacket potato, gravy made with rice flour etc.

IP Logged

russ. m
Advanced Member

burge meadow
Reply #6 - 12. May 2015 at 15:41

This is really bad.

Under the new LAW they are actually breaking regulations by saying everything has a blanket "may contain an alergen"

By law now you are required to list every menu item and specify its contents. This list MUST be available in writing and also all staff MUST be trained in knowing where the list is and trained on any questions. It also must be displayed on a notice where the information is available

I know all this to be fact because my workplace hosted the very meeting where the food standards agency were discussing with local EHO's on how they were regulating and enforcing the new legislation. I also took part in the meeting.

I cetainly wont be going back to the chapel after our one visit. Untrained staff, beer onsale that was off, over priced food, food missing on order and all this on a QUIET day.

IP Logged

J.m.h
Advanced Member

Burge Meadow
Reply #7 - 12. May 2015 at 17:13

This is a shame to hear. I have eaten there several timea and although i didnt go much on the food or service the first few times, i can honestly say that the last two times that i have eaten there the food has been so good, its the best curry that i have ever tasted, the staff are friendly and accommodating. I work in the food industry and therefore realise the importance of catering to EVERYONES needs, lets hope that they improve and can accomodate specific diets in the future.

IP Logged

TheChapel
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 13. May 2015 at 18:10

Hi all

Of course we care!

We have to adhere to very strict policies and guidelines regarding allergies just like every other establishment that prepares and serves food, and we do!

What is clear is that some of our newer staff need a bit of top up training. Thank you for highlighting this.

Sorry you had this experience at The Chapel.

Rachel

PS Anyone know who has filled our skip up with all their rubbish?!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

D Matthews

Reply #9 - 14. May 2015 at 18:46

Hello,

Sorry to hear about the rubbish but while we are on the topic I have a comment.
The Chapel is a beautiful building and you Rachel and your team have done a great job at making the outside space appealing. APART from that gigantic bin tidy which really is an eye sore. When I walk up Graham Road and glance across the car park, it looks so anachronistic mainly due its height. If it was half the height surely it would perform the same purpose and not look so out of place.
Something so tall surely requires planning permission? Huh

A plea; please just just reduce its height so it doesn't dominate the landscape and look like something from Mars or the Vegas Strip especially when illuminated.

IP Logged

meldrew
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #10 - 14. May 2015 at 20:27

D Matthews wrote on 14. May 2015 at 18:46:
that gigantic bin tidy which really is an eye sore.

I disagree, it's far better than just seeing the bins there in the car park.

IP Logged

TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Reply #11 - 14. May 2015 at 21:42

It's not just  the Chapel  that has unsightly bins,   far too many residents have theirs stuck outside their front doors -    a  job lot of bin tidies for the village would be a good idea !

IP Logged

D Matthews

Reply #12 - 14. May 2015 at 23:12

Meldrew, if you read my post again, nowhere do I suggest dismantling the entire bin tidy. It clearly needs planning permission as it stands.
I say the same purpose (i.e. hiding the bins) can be achieved by lowering the structure to half its current height.
The bins will still be hidden but the overall structure will be less obtrusive and more sympathetic and in keeping with the beautiful surroundings of the Chapel.
So please don't quote me out of context. I think the Chapel is vastly improved but I have an isssue with the bin tidy.

IP Logged

D Matthews

Reply #13 - 15. May 2015 at 19:36

The bin tidy area is a vast improvement on before when nothing was there except the bins. I think everyone accepts that.
The scale of the bin tidy in my opinion is out of all proportion and it definitely needs planning permission.
Lowering it by half will still acheive its purpose of hiding bins and containing rubbish but will be more in keeping with the beautiful surrounds and not be as obtrusive.
Maybe those who are not bothered or trivialise it, should bear in mind that it does offend some.

IP Logged

Spangles

Cotford St Luke
Reply #14 - 15. May 2015 at 22:34

I am sorry. We all have different ideas but I did not mean to be impolite to you so I removed my post.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print