HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Defibrillator. (Read 6924 times)
TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Defibrillator.
11. Mar 2015 at 13:41

Very pleased to see that the new defibrillator has been installed outside the Co-op. 

Thanks to the Parish Council and all concerned.

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Re: Defibrillator.
Reply #1 - 11. Mar 2015 at 16:33

great bits of kit and easy to use (we had a session on them at work).

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #2 - 11. Mar 2015 at 17:50

TonyM wrote on 11. Mar 2015 at 13:41:
Very pleased to see that the new defibrillator has been installed outside the Co-op. 

Thanks to the Parish Council and all concerned.

Hear hear. Smiley

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #3 - 11. Mar 2015 at 19:24

Indeed, let just hope it doesn`t get vandalised by some of  the village`s resident morons

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #4 - 12. Mar 2015 at 09:19

if they can get into one of those boxes without waking me up it would be a surprise, subtlety and stealth are not the traits of the recent morons larking around!

But once again, a great addition, heart problems are rife, and the first moments of an attack are the most crucial.
Hear is hoping we don't have to use it.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #5 - 13. Mar 2015 at 18:08

Hear, hear, TonyM, Mr. Piggs, Nobody and Brooklynodog-----

With grateful thanks to our Parish Councillors for having this vital piece of equipment installed for the benefit of every living soul within this village as a sincere gesture of keeping things that way----

With my background experience as a Nurse, I'm a little bit embarrassed to ask '---so what do we now do if we need to use it?' ----but hopefully someone could tell me the procedure --- after all, none of us know when we could come across an incident needing us to know just that-----

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #6 - 13. Mar 2015 at 19:34

When you call 999 the operator decides if you need it and if so can issue you the code for the safe (usually a one time code)  you just run out and get it.  When you open up the box, and turn it on, it gives clear audio instructions on what to do and how to do it.  when the system is set up it is the machine that decides when/if it is needed and what to do, while giving instructions throughout until the emergency services arrive. 
I work for a firm that funded them in public places, malls, and Airports.  I would vouch that anyone can use it (even me me my IQ equating to a grapefruit). Wink

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #7 - 13. Mar 2015 at 19:34

The operator can see you closest one so they would be aware of it by the way Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #8 - 13. Mar 2015 at 20:08

Oh, thank you, Mr Piggs!

I didn't realise that it would be the 999 call which would be the key for opening the box.

That's brilliant------

Along with everyone else, I hope it will never be needed but so reassuring to know the defibrillator is there so that we wouldn't feel helpless while waiting for an ambulance to arrive-----

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #9 - 14. Mar 2015 at 22:31

marilyn wrote on 13. Mar 2015 at 18:08:
Hear, hear, TonyM, Mr. Piggs, Nobody and Brooklynodog-----

With grateful thanks to our Parish Councillors for having this vital piece of equipment installed for the benefit of every living soul within this village as a sincere gesture of keeping things that way----

With my background experience as a Nurse, I'm a little bit embarrassed to ask '---so what do we now do if we need to use it?' ----but hopefully someone could tell me the procedure --- after all, none of us know when we could come across an incident needing us to know just that-----

Most of them start talking to you when you open the lid (some older models have a booklet but they should be being replaced by newer "talking guide" models). Just follow the instructions.

There's two basic types - one with a pre-lubed razor and one with a "double sticky" on the pads. One you shave the chest and stick the pads on, one you stick the pads on, rip them off, peel away the first layer from the pads and then re-adhere them to the areas you've "waxed." After that the machine gives you cues to inflate the patient or stand off. Do what the machine tells you then, unless you want zapping.

Obviously, when the machine's ready to be left to get on with it you're on to 999, or whilst you're setting it up someone else is.

Edited to add: I see Piggs has gone some way to explaining this. Thunder amplified, rather than stolen.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #10 - 08. May 2015 at 10:14

A recent incident has made me think that the defibrillator is 'so near, yet so far---'

If a couple are alone in their home and one of them is showing symptoms of a heart attack, the first reaction of the one having to deal with the situation is to dial 999 and stay with the patient while waiting for paramedics and the ambulance to arrive, often with the control room operator remaining on the line to give advice.

It is, therefore, not possible to get to the defibrillator----

I may raise this at the Parish Council meeting on May 21st and ask if there could be a plan devised for this scenario and also ask if there could be a meeting for residents that the equipment itself could be demonstrated and advice given as to how to get third party help if the phone line is still open to the 999 operator----

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #11 - 09. May 2015 at 09:22

marilyn wrote on 08. May 2015 at 10:14:
I may raise this at the Parish Council meeting on May 21st and ask if there could be a plan devised for this scenario and also ask if there could be a meeting for residents that the equipment itself could be demonstrated and advice given as to how to get third party help if the phone line is still open to the 999 operator----

This is brilliant idea. I would have thought that many folk would like to see such a demonstration.

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #12 - 13. May 2015 at 14:12

A recent incident has made me think that the defibrillator is 'so near, yet so far---'

If a couple are alone in their home and one of them is showing symptoms of a heart attack, the first reaction of the one having to deal with the situation is to dial 999 and stay with the patient while waiting for paramedics and the ambulance to arrive, often with the control room operator remaining on the line to give advice.

It is, therefore, not possible to get to the defibrillator----

Unfortunately i think, the only way of doing this would be to get the code off the operator and contact someone (a neighbour or friend) in the village to do it for you. i stand to be corrected though!

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #13 - 13. May 2015 at 17:40

Yes, I agree that sounds like the straight-forward solution, Mr. Piggs but in a state of anxiousness when the emergency services operator is still giving advice in a critical situation it's not always easy to also pick up a mobile and speed dial a friend or neighbour (especially when mobile phone signals are erratic in certain parts of the village.)

It may be a whimsical thought but I wonder if a team of residents could be trained in the use of the defibrillator and volunteer to take it in turns to be on stand-by---- I wonder if it's asking the impossible that the 999 Control Room could hold that information in the same place that they hold the code for the box and the operator could phone one of those volunteers if necessary to render first aid until the paramedics could get there-----

All of that is just me thinking aloud but it's an idea I may put to the Parish Council ----

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #14 - 14. May 2015 at 23:11

I may raise this at the Parish Council meeting on May 21st

It seems there was an error on the Parish Council's website and the meeting was tonight so I went along and asked if there could be a meeting for interested residents to see a demonstration of the defibrillator in use. Councillor Tony Freeman told me that he is arranging for this to happen and also reiterated what Anvil and Mr. Piggs have said; that the equipment is extremely 'user-friendly' and talks anyone through the procedure.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print