Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
25a bus service to cease--- (Read 24742 times)
meldrew
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Re: 25a bus service to cease---
Reply #45 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:33

Smile wrote on 09. Oct 2013 at 09:29:
I think when you get to stage in your life when walking up a small hill is a stuggle then maybe its better you moved into a care home/village or better yet move in with your family like my nan did. Thats what family is for.

Smile wrote on 09. Oct 2013 at 11:25:
I had my nan move in for her last years, and would do the same for my mum. The thought If I knew they struggle to live a normal life don't sit well with me.

Admirable, but one huge assumption you are making here is that everyone has family that they can lean/depend on.
I fail to see a. The point you're trying to make, b. What real issue you have with the fact people wish to keep a bus service running and are disappointed that it is facing the axe.
Undecided

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #46 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:56

@meldrew a) I don't think ill be able to explain very well without it being worded wrong, and of course everyone may not have close ones around them to help out in life so Ill drop this subject matter.

B) I don't have a issue but in the last year we had petitions and so on, and all they have done is make the bus service worse for us. Maybe just a idea to take it on the chin and hope they stop looking at the Cotford bus route before they ground it all together.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #47 - 09. Oct 2013 at 20:17

"Smile". Cotford St Luke is a village. My in laws live 2 minutes walk from my house, so in effect they do live with us.  I would never suggest they go in a home as they love their life as it is.  Next you will be saying they should be put down.  Also, what is a small hill to you is a mountain to people in their old age years.

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #48 - 09. Oct 2013 at 21:48

https://www.facebook.com/taunton.somerset.5/posts/531018580305956
This is a link for an article on Facebook re the 25a

IP Logged

bumbles

cotford st luke
Reply #49 - 10. Oct 2013 at 16:13

The Parish Council Meeting is this evening, and yes the subject of the 25A bus is on the agenda.

Close one door and another may well open.

IP Logged

Mike Rigby

Reply #50 - 22. Oct 2013 at 16:15

As you know, First Bus is dropping the 25A service between Taunton and Cotford St Luke.  This will take effect from 10th November 2013.  The Parish Council and I have been in discussion with First and have agreed with them that the remaining 25 service will now follow the route around Graham Way, as the 25A currently does. The final bus back out of Taunton will also be put back to 1820 to enable people to get to the bus from work.  Click the link to see the new timetable.  http://www.scribd.com/doc/178098673/Taunton-Cotford-Dulverton-Revised-Service-25... It's a shame that we couldn't get the 25A back but it's a commercial service and just not viable. I hope, though, that what we have negotiated will go some way to softening the blow.

Mike Rigby
County Councillor, Lydeard Division, Somerset County Council
WWW CouncillorRigby  
IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #51 - 22. Oct 2013 at 16:24

Mike, I think that to have an hourly service which will cover all the stops around Graham Way is an excellent compromise in our loss of the 25a---

I know that you and some of our Parish Councillors were meeting with First Bus to discuss this matter and I would like to extend my personal thanks to you (and First) for the outcome of those negotiations----

IP Logged

Maria

Cotford St Luke
Reply #52 - 22. Oct 2013 at 16:30

Dear Mike that is excellent news thank you for all your hard work and backing our village in this matter.

Regards

Cllr Maria Cassidy

Maria J Cassidy Smiley

IP Logged

bumbles

cotford st luke
Reply #53 - 22. Oct 2013 at 18:15

Thanks Mike for bringing the forum up to date with the number 25 bus.  The Parish Council is still looking at other options for another bus link into town to help compensate for the missing 25A. Onwards and upwards. Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #54 - 09. Nov 2013 at 22:01

Mike Rigby wrote on 22. Oct 2013 at 16:15:
As you know, First Bus is dropping the 25A service between Taunton and Cotford St Luke.  This will take effect from 10th November 2013.  The Parish Council and I have been in discussion with First and have agreed with them that the remaining 25 service will now follow the route around Graham Way, as the 25A currently does. The final bus back out of Taunton will also be put back to 1820 to enable people to get to the bus from work.  Click the link to see the new timetable.  http://www.scribd.com/doc/178098673/Taunton-Cotford-Dulverton-Revised-Service-25... It's a shame that we couldn't get the 25A back but it's a commercial service and just not viable. I hope, though, that what we have negotiated will go some way to softening the blow.

bumbles wrote on 22. Oct 2013 at 18:15:
The Parish Council is still looking at other options for another bus link into town to help compensate for the missing 25A. Onwards and upwards.

---and 'onwards and upwards' has resulted in Quantock Motors taking over the 25a route from Monday 10th November---so there will be no break in our service----it will just be provided by a different bus company!  Smiley

Every household in Cotford should receive a copy of Quantock Motors' timetable by tomorrow evening----

(--and Monday 10th November will be a sort of Bonus Day as it will be free fares....!  Smiley)

IP Logged

Saftlad
Exceptional Member

Reply #55 - 10. Nov 2013 at 12:49

Thanks for the leaflet Marilyn & Richard (& Tarka too).

I probably wouldn't make much use of the service, but having glanced at the timetable, I can't help but think that people working in Taunton have a very limited choice - and the bus service isn't realistically one of them.

Imagine for a second that you work 9 - 5:30, not unreasonable hours.  Want to catch a bus though?  Only one option at 7:57 to go in, and no chance of getting home as the last one leaves the bus station at 5:30. 

Pretty poor in my opinion. Sad

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #56 - 10. Nov 2013 at 14:59

Hi, Saftlad,

---- that's just the timetable for the 25a route which was to be axed but some scurrying around by people like our Parish Concillors and Norton Fitzwarren's Parish Council and Mike Rigby (--and there will be others) in the last six weeks has Quantock now covering that route at those times-----

First bus' 25 service will still run hourly and will follow Graham Way's arterial route around the village so anyone will need First's timetable as well to work out their journey times.

Someone came to see me last evening and told me he has been successful in getting First to run a later bus in the evenings -- there is now a bus leaving the bus station at 6.20pm and negotiations continue re having an evening bus service to and fro Taunton.

---so with thanks to Quantock Motors --- and to everyone who works behind the scenes getting things done for us---  Smiley

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #57 - 12. Nov 2013 at 21:35

Quantock are running the service free of charge at the moment too!

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #58 - 23. Nov 2013 at 16:23

Caught the 25a to town today and the owner of Quantock Motors was driving --- he told us that he has been instructed by County Hall that he can't continue running for the next six weeks as he has to wait the allotted time of fifty-six days (since he submitted his proposal to take over this route) for the legislation to be processed---so the 25a service will resume on January 2nd 2014!

(Until then, we will still have First Bus' hourly 25 service----)

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Re: 25a bus service resumes---
Reply #59 - 25. Nov 2013 at 11:30

Whoooo-hooo ----- Somerset County Council love us really! ---so do Quantock Motors!

Just had a phone call from Quantock's manager and the 25a will be running from tomorrow (Tuesday 26th November) as per its timetable of the past couple of weeks-------

Who knows what goes on with the cogs that turn the wheels? ---- but it's just nice to know that they're still turning the wheels of the buses!!!!!  Cheesy

With thanks to all concerned-----  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print