Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
25a bus service to cease--- (Read 24686 times)
Santa

here, there and everywhere
Re: 25a bus service to cease---
Reply #30 - 08. Oct 2013 at 18:36

Smile wrote on 08. Oct 2013 at 18:02:
if these older people cant walk to a bus stop then how to they mange to walk around town doing shopping etc, kinda make's your point invaild.

Nope not invalid at all. Maybe you should ask them the question. They can tell you better than me.

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #31 - 08. Oct 2013 at 18:55

My so said "throw-away-with-no-substance-remark" came from what I have seen myself and from the many Drivers of the buses.

The route does not make a profit and why should we expect them to run it at a lose, I provide a service and I do so for profit.

And if for what ever reason people need to get into town then best they get used to the fact, that they will have to take a little walk to Aveline Court. They are more than able to get around town are they not.

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #32 - 08. Oct 2013 at 22:50

"Smile". Have you seen any hills in town?  This is why the elderly are able to walk around town. Try walking up the hill at Graham Way to Aveline Court when you are nearly 90 and have breathing problems. I am sure you would rather have these elderly people catch the 25a than be driving cars at their age which would be a danger to others. Would you like to be housebound when you are an OAP because of the lack of buses ?

IP Logged

meldrew
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #33 - 09. Oct 2013 at 07:51

The distance a person travels is completely irrelevant. The bus is going that way so what does it matter if a person is only on for one stop?
I'm trying to understand the issues that the service causes and why an individual would be so eager to see it axed when it is clearly a useful and necessary resource for fellow villagers.  Huh
« Last Edit: 09. Oct 2013 at 09:14 by meldrew »  

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #34 - 09. Oct 2013 at 09:29

@itsmeagin, I think when you get to stage in your life when walking up a small hill is a stuggle then maybe its better you moved into a care home/village or better yet move in with your family like my nan did. Thats what family is for.

@meldrew well if a person is using their free pass for one stop and doing this many times a day, and its costing 85p every time they do so, then it yes it a problem (according to the bus drivers) as someone has to pick up the bill. Maybe a limit on how many times bus pass is used per day would put a stop to it.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #35 - 09. Oct 2013 at 10:28

(---I have come to the conclusion that some people just want to antagonise on here and care not one iota about the issues being discussed----

---it can be the only reason that your last post is so rude, Smile so in future I shall ignore anything you
write in such a heartless and offensive manner.)

----so, moving on----- I don't know (but I intend to find out) if the 25a was first introduced because the 25 is often full (or almost full) when it gets to Cotford from Wiveliscombe or Dulverton in which case it almost certainly couldn't pick up passengers when it got to Norton.

The people at the meeting from that village the other night stated that was their main concern--that the bus is often full when it gets there so, at the moment they can wait half an hour for the 25a. Without that service, they would have to wait an hour for the next 25 --- (and, I suppose, that, also could be full.)

It would be interesting to know why the service was started in the first place-------

IP Logged

meldrew
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #36 - 09. Oct 2013 at 10:28

Ah, you're one of these internet "trolls" we read about on the news. No valid point to make just intent on antagonising folk. Very good.  Grin

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #37 - 09. Oct 2013 at 10:37

---and I am struggling to try to have some compassion and understanding at the moment for someone who is wet behind the ears, hasn't lived life, takes an interest only in him/herself and has not yet matured from the under-three-year-olds' philosophy that everything revolves around them----

----but if I see that same person being turned away from a bus stop because the 25 is full as I drive past when I get a car, I will stop and give them a lift------- Wink

(and, of course, I shall delete all this in a minute-----!!!!  Wink )

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #38 - 09. Oct 2013 at 10:48

@marilyn that's rather uncalled for! no wonder no one use's this forum much when they get called all sorts by people like you,who clearly knows nothing about me. And in furture I would if you keep your feelings/thoughts about others to yourself.

@meldrew how very grown up you are to.

IP Logged

Hyacinth

Reply #39 - 09. Oct 2013 at 10:48

Well said, Marilyn - you speak for me. 

IP Logged

Administrator
Administrator

cotford st luke
Reply #40 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:02

Looks like I may have to delete half this thread.  Roll Eyes

The Administrator.
pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝsol ʇ,uop
IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #41 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:04

Smile---I'm sorry!

I was going to delete it because I knew I shouldn't give vent to my feelings (or stoop to a level of sarcasm) on here----- but you did make me see red-----

---and now I can't delete it because it will leave your post floundering in mid-air and people will wonder what I said.

I regret being so rude to you----

You are right; I know nothing about you or your circumstances ----

----- but I care about people---that tends to be unconditional----it's why I said I would give you a lift from the bus stop if you were stranded----

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #42 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:05

Oooops! I'm sorry Administrator-----  Sad

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #43 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:21

This is something I wrote on my 'blog-page' last month---- I think I should have heeded my own counsel before I wrote on this thread this morning----

Kindness-----

“Kindness is the act or the state of being kind, being marked by good and charitable behavior, pleasant disposition, and concern for others”. (Wikipedia)

I have been thinking about words and the way we use them, our actions and the way they are perceived by others.

Whatever we say, whatever we do, can remain indelibly etched in someone else’s memory.

There is no point in saying something unkind followed by an “—I didn’t really mean it!” Once they have left our lips, words delivered in a bitter tone will have left a scar.

I suppose there is something in the simplest of tried and tested philosophies, “Count to ten….” That time-delay gives us the chance to, maybe not always alter the content of what we want to say, but to rearrange the words, our tone and facial expression that they will not cause hurt once they are uttered.

Sometimes, it is the  unspoken words filled with resentment running through our thoughts which can manifest themselves in our actions —- maybe it’s occassionally necessary to count to ten twice!

Oh, to be perfect —-

To be like the cartoon star of a Disney movie; always sweetly spoken, never an ill thought—-

—but fans of Disney films (and we all were in our childhood so everyone knows what I’m talking about!) will remember Pinocchio and I’m just thankful that I have Jiminy Crickets within my circle of friends who, if I bring them to mind as I’m also counting to ten (sometimes twice—-!!!!), I can hear whispering  into my thoughts—— ”Always let your conscience be your guide"

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #44 - 09. Oct 2013 at 11:25

Thats ok Marilyn, what I was trying to point out was the lack of family unity we have today in the UK.
I had my nan move in for her last years, and would do the same for my mum. The thought If I knew they struggle to live a normal life don't sit well with me.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print