Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
25a bus service to cease--- (Read 24687 times)
marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Re: 25a bus service to cease---
Reply #15 - 04. Oct 2013 at 11:19

Tempus Fugit wrote on 04. Oct 2013 at 01:14:
marilyn wrote on 04. Oct 2013 at 00:35:
takes about 45 minutes to get there

And this is why people use their cars - a fraction of the time and, if driven "properly," a lower cost, too.

Well, Tempus, I use the buses because we don't have a car at the moment and, when we do, I have a bus pass which allows me free travel so it's common sense to use that rather than have the un-necessary expense of fuel and parking costs.

It normally takes about twenty-five minutes to get to or from Taunton on First bus' services --- (the 25 or 25a) but one day I was waiting on the town bridge for a bus home and jumped on the 23 marked 'Bishops Lydeard' when it pulled up at the stop as I knew it went via Cotford. In fact it went via Kingston St Mary, then B/Lydeard, then Cotford!!!! I did feel I could have got home quicker if I'd walked (!!!!   Cheesy ) but ----- several older people from the remote, rural areas used the service. It must be like a lifeline to them---

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #16 - 04. Oct 2013 at 15:23

P.S.---and I was thinking of the advantages of going by bus----- instead of concentrating on the traffic, road conditions, etc, from my seat I can window-shop, people-watch, overhear snippets of information (and sometimes bits of gossip!) ---- and daydream------ Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #17 - 05. Oct 2013 at 15:20

I caught the mid-day bus to town today and the entire bus-full of passengers were united in conversation ---- the proposed cancellation of the 25a service---

One lady asked me to mention on here that there is to be a meeting at Norton Fitzwarren Village Hall at 7.30pm on Monday 7th October regarding the matter. I think one of our Parish Councillors has organised it and Jeremy Browne and a representative for First Bus are expected to be present.

I was not the only one to write a letter---commuters for work or College, shoppers, elderly people ---- so many people are affected by this proposal------

As was pointed out this morning, the 25, by the time it gets to Cotford, is often full --- and has even more passengers to pick up at Norton Fitzwarren ---

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #18 - 05. Oct 2013 at 15:53

That's good news. I will be coming armed with the in-laws 😃

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #19 - 05. Oct 2013 at 18:53

Browne will only hang around long enough to see if there's a likelihood that he'll get his photo in the papers and a lengthy mention in any article, based on previous experience with his "attendance" at village meetings, so make sure the Gazette has a heavy presence!

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #20 - 05. Oct 2013 at 20:33

Oh, I wonder if anyone has contacted the Gazette---- some publicity of that kind may help-----

Thank you for the idea, Tempus----  Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Meeting Tonight---
Reply #21 - 07. Oct 2013 at 16:41

I shan't really be affected if the 25a Cotford to Taunton service stops-----but I know of several people who will----so I shall go to tonight's meeting at Norton Fitzwarren's Village Hall at 7.30pm on their behalf----

Please come along if you can----

I have heard from a friend this afternoon that First Bus plan to put on extra buses (on the 25 route) at commuting times --- i.e. at 8am and in the evenings---- but my feelings are that the operation of the convenient 25a service around the village may need to be modified through the daytime but not axed completely for the sake of those who have no other way to get to medical appointments or a Pharmacy, etc--- Many of these people may not be able to get to tonight's meeting so please come along and help to fight their corner. The 'Powers-that-be' possibly don't live in Cotford so don't know how isolated we can be when faced with age-related problems------

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #22 - 07. Oct 2013 at 21:01

Well, the meeting was actually Norton Fitzwarren's Parish Council meeting (so no representative from First Bus or Jeremy Browne present-----[but it's just what I was told on the bus so---please don't shoot the messenger!  Wink ])

It was well supported with a strong contingent of people from Norton Fitzwarren and Cotford St Luke voicing their concerns about the proposed axing of the 25a bus service.

The chairwoman, Barbara Stone and members of Cotford's Parish Council were also present and Barbara presented their views on the matter. The subject will also be on our Parish Council meeting's Agenda this coming Thursday evening.

Councillor Mike Rigby was also in attendance and will be speaking with the Transport Director, John Perrett at County Hall.

Members of the public were encouraged to put their views in writing to Lee Owens, Business Manager of First Bus at Tower Lane Bus Station, Taunton or John Perrett at County Hall.

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #23 - 08. Oct 2013 at 09:00

Tempus Fugit wrote on 05. Oct 2013 at 18:53:
Browne will only hang around long enough to see if there's a likelihood that he'll get his photo in the papers and a lengthy mention in any article, based on previous experience with his "attendance" at village meetings, so make sure the Gazette has a heavy presence!

Browne may now have a bit more time on his hands

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/10722181.Taunton_MP_Jeremy_Browne_lo...

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #24 - 08. Oct 2013 at 13:35

As someone how use's the Bus, I fully understad why they would cut back on this route.

First I have lost count the amount of time's I have been the only person that gets of in the village.
Also I noted on the bus the last few days the people most upset at having to walk a little to a bus stop do seem overweight.
I also been told that a lot of people have been abusing their bus pass, I have seen many people just going from one stop to the next when they are more than capble of walking.

Oh and one last note Somerset do run a car service for those that really need to go the Doctors etc.

IP Logged

Administrator
Administrator

cotford st luke
Reply #25 - 08. Oct 2013 at 14:54

I've been on it the last two days (early this morning and yesterday afternoon) and both times it was reasonably busy. I did notice a lot of people with some sort of pass using it and it didn't appear that this was recorded so how they know the true numbers of people utilising the service is a bit of a mystery.  Huh

The Administrator.
pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝsol ʇ,uop
IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #26 - 08. Oct 2013 at 15:06

Administrator wrote on 08. Oct 2013 at 14:54:
I've been on it the last two days (early this morning and yesterday afternoon) and both times it was reasonably busy. I did notice a lot of people with some sort of pass using it and it didn't appear that this was recorded so how they know the true numbers of people utilising the service is a bit of a mystery.  Huh

The concil pay 85p per ticket to First Bus, so the numbers do get recorded. Oh I agree the 9am bus is busy and then at collage home time but inbetween its hardly worth running them so ofen,not unless First don't want to make a profit which I am sure they do.

IP Logged

Santa

here, there and everywhere
Reply #27 - 08. Oct 2013 at 17:19

As I understand it  the 25a is not subsidised by County Hall. First Bus run the service at a loss. And your point about passengers being overweight Smile I find  irrelevant to the subject being discussed. some of the passengers  rely on public transport because they are elderly and cannot drive or are not able to walk to the first bus shelter in the village but need groceries and other shopping from the town. its not just for medical appointments.

IP Logged

Smile

Taunton
Reply #28 - 08. Oct 2013 at 18:02

Santa wrote on 08. Oct 2013 at 17:19:
As I understand it  the 25a is not subsidised by County Hall. First Bus run the service at a loss. And your point about passengers being overweight Smile I find  irrelevant to the subject being discussed. some of the passengers  rely on public transport because they are elderly and cannot drive or are not able to walk to the first bus shelter in the village but need groceries and other shopping from the town. its not just for medical appointments.

No the route is no longer subsided by the concil but the they do pay First 85p each time a free ticket is issued, that they then claim of the goverment.

And please if these older people cant walk to a bus stop then how to they mange to walk around town doing shopping etc, kinda make's your point invaild.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #29 - 08. Oct 2013 at 18:06

Smile wrote on 08. Oct 2013 at 13:35:
As someone how use's the Bus, I fully understad why they would cut back on this route.

First I have lost count the amount of time's I have been the only person that gets of in the village.
Also I noted on the bus the last few days the people most upset at having to walk a little to a bus stop do seem overweight.
I also been told that a lot of people have been abusing their bus pass, I have seen many people just going from one stop to the next when they are more than capble of walking.

Oh and one last note Somerset do run a car service for those that really need to go the Doctors etc.

If anyone read the contents of posts before having their anonymous say they would realise that some of us on here are fighting the corners of other 'minority groups' ---the likes of which you think you will never attain------ those with mobility problems, the elderly, those who use public transport not through choice but out of necessity because they have no car for whatever reason------

25 / 25a---what does it matter---?????

It matters to those who cannot walk from the far end of the village to Aveline Court------ maybe they don't have a medical appointment=---- maybe they just want to go to town to buy a gift for someone special to them------ what business is it of anyone else as to why they actually need to make that journey?

'Uses a bus pass to get to one stop in the village to the next which they are capable of walking to' is another throw-away-with-no-substance-remark-----

This is the Village Forum, designed to be of positive help to anyone, no matter what age and circumstance is their lot in life-------

Let's use it as such ---with respect to fellow residents, with compassion to those who are in more need than they were in their youth, with an understanding that age-related problems happen, unbidden and uninvited and, although this is a useful channel for putting across our points of view, let's start getting to local meetings and hear first-hand of the issues that will one day affect us and those we care about--------

« Last Edit: 08. Oct 2013 at 23:29 by marilyn »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print