Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Cotford St Luke

HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
25a bus service to cease--- (Read 25822 times)
marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
25a bus service to cease---
01. Oct 2013 at 13:34

I heard this morning that First bus are ceasing the 25a (Cotford St Luke to Taunton) bus service on 10th November.

----so we'll just have the 25 Dulverton / Wiveliscombe to Taunton service which only picks up at Aveline Court's bus stop (currently at around half-past each hour through the daytime -- but I suppose they may alter the timings----)

IP Logged

TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Re: 25a bus service to cease---
Reply #1 - 01. Oct 2013 at 14:54

As I am one of the many  people who rarely use the buses I suppose I'm not really qualified to comment.

I do feel, however that services could be better organised; for example:

Both  Webbers and First Bus run Taunton to Minehead. Could not these services be arranged so that alternate services run  via Norton Fitzwarren and CSL, rather than straight down the A358 past Norton Camp ?  This would also have the advantage of creating a direct link between Cotford and Musgrove Park Hospital, plus of course a direct link to Minehead and intermediate points.

The same could also be said of Webbers Service 17, which runs from  Taunton and MPH direct to Bishops Lydeard.

Could the bus companies' reluctance to serve Cotford be because of our excessive traffic calming arrangements?

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #2 - 01. Oct 2013 at 15:53

TonyM wrote on 01. Oct 2013 at 14:54:
The same could also be said of Webbers Service 17, which runs from  Taunton and MPH direct to Bishops Lydeard.

This is another service which will cease to operate, TonyM ---- apparently, not enough people used it----- Sad

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #3 - 01. Oct 2013 at 18:54

Could the bus companies' reluctance to serve Cotford be because of our excessive traffic calming arrangements?

And because we see not a sign of a gritting truck in the winter, too?

IP Logged

meldrew
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #4 - 01. Oct 2013 at 19:13

Part of the government's plans to get more people in their cars and off public transport to boost the tax coffers with unreasonable fuel duty.

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #5 - 02. Oct 2013 at 09:19

As I am one of the many  people who rarely use the buses I suppose I'm not really qualified to comment.

I do feel, however that services could be better organised; for example:

Both  Webbers and First Bus run Taunton to Minehead. Could not these services be arranged so that alternate services run  via Norton Fitzwarren and CSL, rather than straight down the A358 past Norton Camp ?  This would also have the advantage of creating a direct link between Cotford and Musgrove Park Hospital, plus of course a direct link to Minehead and intermediate points.

I couldn't agree more Tony.  I have always wondered why the 28 Taunton to Minehead does not go via Norton and Cotford on its way to Minehead.  It might even improve profits for First Bus on the 28 route as there will be more passengers.

I think it's probably more a consequence of de-regulation of the buses rather than traffic calming in Cotford.

IP Logged

Hyacinth

Reply #6 - 02. Oct 2013 at 10:27

marilyn wrote on 01. Oct 2013 at 15:53:

This is another service which will cease to operate, TonyM ---- apparently, not enough people used it----- Sad

Well, that must be because not enough publicity is given to new and existing services! 

A few years ago I nagged and nagged First to put signs on our village bus stops of which buses use the stops.  Eventually, they did.  I also asked for timetables to be included at each stop, but that was a bridge too far for First.  They said folk prefer their booklet timetables - er?? 

Coming from the south east where timetables at bus stops are standard, and a simple way of communicating, I couldn't see their viewpoint.

The bus companies (including Park & Ride services) need to market themselves much better.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #7 - 02. Oct 2013 at 15:45

Well, the 11am 25a broke down this morning going downhill on Dene Road near the cut-through to Nicholl Place so we all alighted and made our way the few yards further on to the Aveline Court bus stop and waited for the 25.

-----however, I noticed that some of the older passengers who boarded at Merrifields find walking a bit of a struggle and it occurred to me that it won't be so convenient for them when they have to make the trek to Aveline Court, particularly in winter weather---

I wonder if the 25 will make the arterial trip around the village so that all bus stops are still utilised----

Maybe I'll write to First bus----  Undecided

IP Logged

Florie Bunda

Reply #8 - 02. Oct 2013 at 18:16

I'm very sorry to hear about the 25a bus service stopping.  It will be a blow for folk living in the Burge Crescent area as they will have a long way to walk to the Avaline Court Bus stop.  As you say Marilyn, it will be especially hard on the less mobile members of our community.  A good idea to write to First bus company to ask if they would consider calling at all the bus stops through Graham Way.  Thank you for thinking of doing this.

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #9 - 02. Oct 2013 at 19:29

I think 2 of those oldies were my in laws. They get on at Merrifields. I hope they do run the bus through the village as they would never manage the long walk as it is up hill both ways.

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #10 - 02. Oct 2013 at 20:05

Hyacinth wrote on 02. Oct 2013 at 10:27:
Coming from the south east where timetables at bus stops are standard, and a simple way of communicating, I couldn't see their viewpoint.

Me neither, having also come from a region where timetables at the bus stop are the norm. I mean, if you're on a touring holiday using public transport and shanks pony and you stroll into a rural hamlet thinking you've done walking and humping your gear around and decide to find a bus stop it's nice to have some idea of where you can get to and when, eh?

Given the south-west is a largely rural peninsular popular with tourists you'd think it would be a no-brainer. No wonder they all come by car!

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Reply #11 - 03. Oct 2013 at 19:08

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but, having paid attention in passing the bus shelters this morning, is it not the case that they do actually have timetables posted...? It certainly looked like it.

IP Logged

TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Reply #12 - 03. Oct 2013 at 19:36

Tempus Fugit wrote on 03. Oct 2013 at 19:08:
I might be barking up the wrong tree here but, having paid attention in passing the bus shelters this morning, is it not the case that they do actually have timetables posted...? It certainly looked like it.

The shelters may have timetables, but the bus stops haven't.  It sounds like we won't need the bus stops soon, anyway.   (Apart from the no 23 of course, or is that  being withdrawn also ?)

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #13 - 04. Oct 2013 at 00:35

TonyM wrote on 03. Oct 2013 at 19:36:
It sounds like we won't need the bus stops soon, anyway.   (Apart from the no 23 of course, or is that  being withdrawn also ?)

The 23 (Taunton - Bishops Lydeard via Cotford ) is still running  but it is no longer operated by First Bus----Hatch Green now provide this service.

It is a very pretty route for anyone wanting a leisurely ride into town via country lanes and takes about 45 minutes to get there------

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Reply #14 - 04. Oct 2013 at 01:14

marilyn wrote on 04. Oct 2013 at 00:35:
takes about 45 minutes to get there

And this is why people use their cars - a fraction of the time and, if driven "properly," a lower cost, too.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print