Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
Superfast Broadband (Read 49326 times)
Stu
Advanced Member

Cotford St.Luke
Re: Superfast Broadband
Reply #165 - 15. Aug 2014 at 10:04

I would give you an update, but BT sent a TV engineer?!?!?!?
So I phoned BT's head Office and now I have a Internet engineer coming out on Monday.

IP Logged

Boomerang73

Burge Meadow
Reply #166 - 07. Feb 2015 at 18:28

If anyone is still interested in this, I get 40Mbps download speed in Burge Meadow from Sky. Interestingly, someone else that lives in Needhams Patch only gets 20....

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #167 - 08. Feb 2015 at 07:46

It all depends how far your line is from the exchange. My speed is only half of what my next door neighbour gets because my line is further than theirs for some reason. They must have put mine in the long way round.

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #168 - 09. Feb 2015 at 15:27

Looking at my data use app on my media centre, my average is 60mbs, the lowest i had was 20mbs, and the best i had was apparently a weeks ago when i had 1gb.  Seems it varies, not only on location but also how many others are 'dialling in'.

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #169 - 10. Feb 2015 at 08:58

I am with Plusnet and my results on Fibre have been extremely variable. It ranges from 12.52 Mb/s at best down to 0.42 Mb/s for downloads. Uploads vary from 9.15 Mb/s to 0.45 Mb/s. Hardly SUPERFAST Broadband I feel. I live in Graham Way near the junction with Burge Crescent.

IP Logged

Boomerang73

Burge Meadow
Reply #170 - 10. Feb 2015 at 19:33

Nobody wrote on 10. Feb 2015 at 08:58:
I am with Plusnet and my results on Fibre have been extremely variable. It ranges from 12.52 Mb/s at best down to 0.42 Mb/s for downloads. Uploads vary from 9.15 Mb/s to 0.45 Mb/s. Hardly SUPERFAST Broadband I feel. I live in Graham Way near the junction with Burge Crescent.

I'd contact them regarding that, it's incredibly slow. When you signed up they should have given you an estimate on your line speed - can you remember what that was?

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #171 - 11. Feb 2015 at 10:44

[/quote]
I'd contact them regarding that, it's incredibly slow. When you signed up they should have given you an estimate on your line speed - can you remember what that was?
[/quote]

I have contacted Plusnet via online and snail mail, all to no avail. In their original quote they stated 24 Mb/s !

IP Logged

Boomerang73

Burge Meadow
Reply #172 - 11. Feb 2015 at 17:06

Nobody wrote on 11. Feb 2015 at 10:44:

[/quote]

I have contacted Plusnet via online and snail mail, all to no avail. In their original quote they stated 24 Mb/s ! [/quote]

Did they give you the normal troubleshooting things to do, in terms of plugging your router into the test socket beneath the master socket to check speed, unplug all other equipment and then check speeds etc?

Happy to try and help with it if I can.....  Smiley

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #173 - 11. Feb 2015 at 17:28

threaten to leave to BT or Sky, and i am sure they can do a line check and sort you out in order to retain a customer.  One thing to bear in mind, is that you will need to keep your router on all the time, the system 'detects' (no doubt using some complicated algorithm) what you use and how often to balance your bandwidth.  We had it installed and i was online gaming, downloading HD films, music, and uploading my files to Cloud storage (1TB of data uploaded in total over the week!).  and our speed is very good, then again i could just be lucky!

IP Logged

Cunningplan

Reply #174 - 12. Feb 2015 at 08:30

Hi Nobody
Are you connecting via wireless or ethernet cable? I know this thread is twelve pages long, but there is information on how to connect and the problems with getting accurate and reliable speeds via wireless.

Mr Piggs
Reading your comment on your download speeds I would suggest that the 1Gb is an erroneous reading. Those broadband speeds are not available yet, and certainly not in our exchange as you would need fibre to the premises (FTTP) which will only give up to 300mpbs with current technology.

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #175 - 12. Feb 2015 at 15:06

Boomerang73 wrote on 11. Feb 2015 at 17:06:
Did they give you the normal troubleshooting things to do, in terms of plugging your router into the test socket beneath the master socket to check speed, unplug all other equipment and then check speeds etc?

All they told me to do was to plug in with an ethernet cable and see if that improved things.
I have tried this and it has made virtually no difference.
Have just this minute repeated this with Wi-Fi- disabled and result is 7.46 Mb/s Down and 9.95 Mb/s Up
I used to get over 4Mb/s before I went to Fibre !

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #176 - 12. Feb 2015 at 15:39

For clarity
Here is the record of the results that I have been getting with Plusnet Fibre Broadband.

IP Logged

MrPiggs
Advanced Member

Reply #177 - 13. Feb 2015 at 19:33

Cunningplan wrote on 12. Feb 2015 at 08:30:
Hi Nobody
Are you connecting via wireless or ethernet cable? I know this thread is twelve pages long, but there is information on how to connect and the problems with getting accurate and reliable speeds via wireless.

Mr Piggs
Reading your comment on your download speeds I would suggest that the 1Gb is an erroneous reading. Those broadband speeds are not available yet, and certainly not in our exchange as you would need fibre to the premises (FTTP) which will only give up to 300mpbs with current technology.

I thought it was OTT, even my office which does have direct F/Optic doesn't get that (and thats in Central London!)  still beats the old days of dial up and 26kb per second if you were
lucky!

IP Logged

Graeme

Reply #178 - 14. Feb 2015 at 18:38

It's been a lot slower this week and probably to do with BT running cables to or from the exchange this past week along the a358 and did pick up again today. open reach often tinker and its miraculously fine within five day window which is when they have to compensate for loss of services....

IP Logged

Boomerang73

Burge Meadow
Reply #179 - 15. Feb 2015 at 11:39

Nobody wrote on 12. Feb 2015 at 15:39:
For clarity
Here is the record of the results that I have been getting with Plusnet Fibre Broadband.

I'll private message you some things to check - saves everyone having to read my ramblings!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print