HomeHelpSearch Sign Up Login Village Website  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Superfast Broadband (Read 54781 times)
TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Superfast Broadband
28. Jun 2013 at 18:17

Just seen on the news that superfast broadband is coming to Bishops Lydeard exchange - see the story here:

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/search/?q=broadband

IP Logged

Administrator
Administrator

cotford st luke
Re: Superfast Broadband
Reply #1 - 28. Jun 2013 at 20:16

Sounds good.  Smiley

The Administrator.
pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ǝsol ʇ,uop
IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #2 - 29. Jun 2013 at 10:07

Is thatBishops Lyeard as the village getting it or all homes from that exchange?

IP Logged

TonyM
Extraordinary Member

Reply #3 - 29. Jun 2013 at 11:11

itsmeagain wrote on 29. Jun 2013 at 10:07:
Is thatBishops Lyeard as the village getting it or all homes from that exchange?

I would assume its all the homes, as Cotford must  constitiute about half the total, but I don't know for certain.

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #4 - 29. Jun 2013 at 14:13

We'll still have a long bit of copper between us and the exchange, though. Or will they rip up the streets and lay in fibre? If so, why didn't they lay it ready when they built the village?

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #5 - 30. Jun 2013 at 13:32

Tempus Fugit wrote on 29. Jun 2013 at 14:13:
We'll still have a long bit of copper between us and the exchange, though. Or will they rip up the streets and lay in fibre? If so, why didn't they lay it ready when they built the village?

Did broadband exist nearly 20 years ago?

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #6 - 30. Jun 2013 at 13:52

It existed twelve years ago when we were already well into Blair's "digital millennium fast internet for everyone" assertions and investment and they were building the first phases of the village as we now know it. And I can remember the pavements of the town I lived in in the mid-90's being dug up for this new-fangled fibre-optic malarkey. It was particularly memorable because the council made the cable company come back and make good the damage as all the trenches when backfilled were anything up to an inch lower than the original surrounding pavement. It was a right mess and the disruption was lengthy. I lived in a terrace with no front gardens at the time and was working 10pm - 6am when they came to do my street. They started promptly at 7am, were there for four days and their compressor was parked literally on my doorstep. I was very definitely in Victor Meldrew mode, I can tell you!

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

Cunningplan

Reply #7 - 01. Jul 2013 at 08:11

The fibre will just go to the green cabinet at the top of the hill and not to each house, hence the acronym FTTC.

And from what I gather a fibre optic cable was laid by Fujitsu a couple of years ago in readiness for the exchange being upgraded with the new equipment.
People will also need a new router (which your ISP will provide) unless your current one states it's BT Infinity/Fibre ready.

IP Logged

JT

Reply #8 - 01. Jul 2013 at 15:01

That's brilliant news! I'm moving to Cotford on Friday, the one thing I was woried about was the broadband. I don't get a single mobile reception in the house either on O2(maybe not a bad thing). You'd think for a village that size teh big three mobile operators would have a decent signal.

IP Logged

Mike Rigby

Reply #9 - 01. Jul 2013 at 16:27

I have sought clarification from the team at County Hall on the scope of the work at the Lydeard exchange, i.e. does the announcement apply solely to the village of Bishops Lydeard or to the wider area served by the Bishops Lydeard exchange (including Cotford)?  I'll report back as soon as I hear.  I think Cunningplan has it right when he/she says that much of the fibre optic cable has already been laid and that most of the work required is exchange-based.  More soon.

Mike Rigby
County Councillor, Lydeard Division, Somerset County Council
WWW CouncillorRigby  
IP Logged

Gary

Reply #10 - 01. Jul 2013 at 19:04

fingers crossed it covers Cotford, as we are on the Lydeard exchange... JT here a little help for you if you are on O2
http://www.o2.co.uk/tugo/want-it its a hand app that uses your wifi to connect you to your current O2 plan, it takes a while to register but has worked fine for me with no signal at all in the house

IP Logged

itsmeagain
Exceptional Member

COTFORD ST LUKE
Reply #11 - 02. Jul 2013 at 07:42

I use tugo on O2 and its actually clearer than using a normal phone signal. I use it all the time at home.

IP Logged

greedo

Cotford St Luke
Reply #12 - 04. Jul 2013 at 12:27

I too sought clarification on whether or not Cotford will benefit...the slightly woolly answer I received:
'The announcement will only effect the towns and villages mentioned in the announcement. Thatís not to say other areas wonít benefit from the enabling of the necessary exchanges to provide fibre broadband to the areas mentioned further down the line. However currently we only have information for the communities we have announced.'
....which doesn't sounds promising...

IP Logged

R1ch

Reply #13 - 18. Jul 2013 at 09:16

Has anyone heard anymore about this? If it is true that the fibre cable has already been laid between Cotford and the BL exchange then it would seem a no brainer to me to just connect it up (I'm sure it is more complicated than that but surely the biggest expensive/hassle is getting the fibre laid). With the number of young families, those that work from home or just those that just want a better broadband experience we have now in the village I'm sure the take up of fibre broadband would be quite high.

By the way, do we just have the one green BT street cabinet in Cotford at the top of village on Dene Road or is there more?

IP Logged

K9

Reply #14 - 18. Jul 2013 at 11:18

I think we are still waiting for further information unfortunately.

Quote:
With the number of young families, those that work from home or just those that just want a better broadband experience we have now in the village I'm sure the take up of fibre broadband would be quite high.

I could not agree more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print