We Will Remember Them.
[/center]

IP Logged

lily

Cotford st Luke
Re: Remembrance Sunday
Reply #1 - 09. Nov 2012 at 11:59

What a shame its hidden in the Chapel.
Perhaps we should see if we could get a proper all weather memorial outside in the village. there are probably others who may have may have made the ultimate sacrifice since the second world war who should be included.
All other villages have a war memorial where people can place their wreaths or crosses.

IP Logged

K9

Reply #2 - 09. Nov 2012 at 12:37

Quote:
Perhaps we should see if we could get a proper all weather memorial outside in the village.

That would be wonderful.

The previous owner of The Chapel had the Roll of Honour restored and it looked far better than the cobweb covered image we see in a previous post. I am concerned that that the Roll may have been removed following the closure of the pub. Is anyone in a position to cofirrn that it is still on the premises?

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #3 - 09. Nov 2012 at 14:45

Perhaps the Parish Council could actually do something??

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #4 - 10. Nov 2013 at 09:47

I do not know if this Tablet is still located in the Chapel, but I can't help but agree with Jimmy's comment. Perhaps something could be done in time for the 100th anniversary?
However, WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM.

IP Logged

K9

Reply #5 - 10. Nov 2013 at 20:18

The picture shows the Roll of Honour sadly complete with vertical split and cobwebs. To his credit the previous Landlord had the Roll of Honour restored and placed it by the small staircase in the old church building.

I hope the memorial is still there.

Lest we forget.........

We will remember them.

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #6 - 09. Nov 2014 at 11:30

We will remember them.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #7 - 11. Apr 2015 at 18:20

Nobody wrote on 09. Nov 2014 at 11:30:
We will remember them.

The late David Hinton of Bishops Lydeard (who, sadly, departed this life in the early Spring of this year) wrote a book entitled 'A Wartime Parish and the Fallen 1914 - 1918' (ISBN 978-1-899995-21-9).

The preface tells us that "---for more than two decades he stood at the War Memorial at Bishops Lydeard and listened while the names of the men inscribed on it were solemnly read out." Following up a suggestion from his wife, Jane, he then researched the lives of those men and the parishioners they left behind. Last year, to commemorate the centenary of the first World War, he published his book to the memory of those who made the 'ultimate sacrifice' from that Parish.

Amongst the photos are pictures of the cottages and their locations which were directly affected as families struggled through those dark days with their menfolk away---

I have just obtained a copy of the book (---it is on sale at the Library in Bishops Lydeard) and was touched to find that, on page 227, there is a photo of Cotford's memorial to the nine men working at the hospital here who were called to war and never returned and David dedicates a section to each of them----

My sister-in-law gave me the book as a gift so I don't know how much it cost but to anyone interested in the history of Bishops Lydeard and Cotford and the lives of those villages' people at the time of the Great War, this would be a treasure on the bookshelf----

---so, Samuel Benham, Thomas Court, John Deen, Jacob Hodges, James Huxtable, Arthur Saunders, Charles Stutt, Walter Yandle and Clarence Winn, we never knew you but are reminded of you by that board in The Chapel and now, through David Hinton's book --- We will remember you, whatever the season----

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #8 - 11. Nov 2017 at 08:47

We Will Remember Them

The Memorial Board is now located on the LHS just inside the outer entrance doors to The Chapel.
Photo taken with kind permission.

DSC02049.jpg (2241 KB | 7 )
DSC02049.jpg

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #9 - 18. Nov 2017 at 10:16

Nobody wrote on 11. Nov 2017 at 08:47:
We Will Remember Them

Researching  the names listed on the Chapel Memorial Tablet through the Commonwealth War Graves web-site, I have been unable to find any reference to  John Deen. No one with that name is listed as having been killed throughout the 1st World War.
Does anyone have any local knowkedge of this family or any other information that could be of help?

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #10 - 18. Nov 2017 at 12:37

Nobody wrote on 18. Nov 2017 at 10:16:
Researching  the names listed on the Chapel Memorial Tablet through the Commonwealth War Graves web-site, I have been unable to find any reference to  John Deen. No one with that name is listed as having been killed throughout the 1st World War.
Does anyone have any local knowkedge of this family or any other information that could be of help?

In the book, 'A Wartime Parish and The Fallen' written by the late David Hinton of Bishops Lydeard, there is the following information about A/Corporal Arthur John Deen---

"John was born in Taunton in 1884, the son of Henry and Emily Deen. He served with the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry and died on the 25th April 1918 aged 34 years."

I'll lend you my copy of the book, Nobody---

IP Logged

why me ?

Reply #11 - 20. Nov 2017 at 08:23

Find My Past shows Arthur John Deen, service number 12239, A/Cpl of the Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry), 1st battalion
Born St James, Taunton
Enlisted Hillcommon, Oake, Somerset
Died 25 April 1918 France and Flanders

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #12 - 20. Nov 2017 at 10:00

marilyn wrote on 18. Nov 2017 at 12:37:
In the book, 'A Wartime Parish and The Fallen' written by the late David Hinton of Bishops Lydeard, there is the following information about A/Corporal Arthur John Deen---

"John was born in Taunton in 1884, the son of Henry and Emily Deen. He served with the 1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry and died on the 25th April 1918 aged 34 years."

I'll lend you my copy of the book, Nobody---

why me ? wrote on 20. Nov 2017 at 08:23:
Find My Past shows Arthur John Deen, service number 12239, A/Cpl of the Prince Albert's (Somerset Light Infantry), 1st battalion
Born St James, Taunton
Enlisted Hillcommon, Oake, Somerset
Died 25 April 1918 France and Flanders

Well at least these two sources agree. It is interesting to note that although he was known as John, his 1st name was Arthur. However I am still unable to locate any detail of him through the Common Wealth War Graves web-site or the Somerset Light Infantry web-site.
Thanks for the loan of the book Marilyn it is most interesting to read how WW1 impacted on the local community.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print