Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
The Chapel (Read 95944 times)
Jane J
Advanced Member

Plymouth
Re: The Chapel
Reply #225 - 06. May 2013 at 20:40

A fantastic day at the Chapel. Great to see so many people there. Let's hope for many more days of sunshine over the summer so we can continue to enjoy the new garden.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #226 - 07. May 2013 at 10:53

Agreed, JaneJ----- Smiley

Someone said that it was a real 'Quality day!' I'd go along with that-----

A lovely start to the day with the two guys who have been friends for seventy years and served together with the Commandos as they opened the new chapter of The Chapel's history (its newly landscaped gardens) with regimental band music and some sharing of their own military experiences.

Then followed a whole day of comradeship with neighbours, Bouncy Castle fun for the children, excellent barbequed lunch, oooodles of Pimms---just perfect.....

Thank you, Sam and all the team (and to He-who-provided-the-weather  Wink )

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #227 - 28. May 2013 at 11:01

Four days of 'Beer Fest' at The Chapel over this Bank Holiday weekend----

I don't drink beer but we went there one evening and again yesterday afternoon and enjoyed a big cupful of what this community is all about ---- the warmth of friendship, a time to sit and chat, lots of laughter (still smiling at the thought of the spider's efforts not to be sucked up by the Dyson------- Grin and the theory of Pythagoras------ Cheesy ), the children, many sporting the artistic designs of the face painting team, enjoying the Bouncy Castle and Football Target game ----

A really great weekend for families------ Thank you, Sam and all your team for all the hard work that must have gone into organising such a superb event.

Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #228 - 29. Jun 2013 at 17:26

For those who, like me, couldn't find a spot to pitch a tent at Glastonbury this weekend---- The Chapel has a bit of a Rock night tonight with the Tiny Face Experience------  Smiley

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #229 - 29. Jun 2013 at 18:24

marilyn wrote on 28. May 2013 at 11:01:

I don't drink beer

Smiley

me neither Wink

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #230 - 29. Jun 2013 at 18:31

I don't drink beer, either, but I tend to find that lager drinks me!!

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #231 - 15. Jul 2013 at 11:31

Having enjoyed last night's Quiz at the Chapel, I took my jug of Pimm's outside to reflect on how little I actually know------ ( Wink )

and, nestling in the sheltered area near the porch, were the benches that Sam has bought as a feature in the garden dedicated to the guys of 40 Commando.

When Sam had spoken of getting benches, I imagined they would be wooden; it, somehow seems very apt that, when the plaques she has prepared are fitted to them, the message of The Chapel's allegiance to the Royal Marines will be 'set in stone'------

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #232 - 20. Jul 2013 at 11:12

I was reading in this week's Somerset County Gazette about the author of 'Broken Dreams and Bottom Lines', Darel Pace, who lives in Cotford.

I remember someone telling me that she will be promoting her novel in The Chapel one evening ---- please can anyone tell me when----? (--or have I already missed it---  Sad )

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #233 - 21. Jul 2013 at 12:11

I already knew, after celebrating our Wedding Anniversary in The Chapel in March, that our village pub makes an excellent venue for parties---

and this thought was reinforced last evening when we popped in to take a message of Congratulations to the bride and groom (Tex and Donna) on their Wedding Day.

The upper floor looked fabulous with the trimmings of the tables, the feast of a buffet set out in the gallery room and a wonderful atmosphere---

It left me feeling how fortunate we are to have a pub in the village---- it makes memories of special occassions all the more meaningful when they're on home-soil-------

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #234 - 10. Aug 2013 at 00:56

I just read this on The Chapel's Facebook page:

Summer Party tickets selling well [for Saturday August 10th] -- limited available on the night on the door. 10 per person including hog roast, glass of pimms or house wine or pint lager/real ale......extension til 1am, marquee and live music. All in aid of CLIC, School and Church. Come along and give your support.....

----something to look forward to tomorrow night! Smiley

P.S. -- Whoops! Considering the lateness of the hour, that should read 'something to look forward to tonight' !!! 

----and it was 'Bridget Jones' Diary' that kept me up so late------  Cheesy

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #235 - 11. Aug 2013 at 12:25

A great Summer Party at The Chapel last night----

It was good to meet up with so many friends to enjoy catching up, then tucking into the hog roast before the music started (with moments set aside to quietly think fo those who would have been with us but couldn't due to being away on holiday, etc) -----and then a touch of 'keeping up' to the lively music on the dance floor thanks to the Cloutsham band---

A fantastic night; lovely company; warm, friendly atmosphere-----

Thank you Sam and all your team----- Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #236 - 27. Aug 2013 at 16:38

Well....we missed most of this Bank Holiday's Beer Fest at The Chapel (those who followed the account of my trip to A & E with a trauma to my cornea will understand why---   Cool ---ouch!) --- but we did manage to go there last night and ----

what a lovely atmosphere! With families still enjoying the early evening in the garden, diners tucking into scrumptious-looking meals inside and the bar area well-packed with footie fans watching the Man United V Chelsea match and the twelve barrels of tantalising sounding beers being well tested, it was a really summery, traditional, English pub setting.

We so enjoyed our evening chatting with people we hadn't seen in a while and somehow that phrase "---a sight for sore eyes--" seemed quite apt----  Smiley

Thank you-------

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #237 - 07. Sep 2013 at 12:58

What a delightful morning in The Chapel!

Until 3pm today, there are stalls selling all kinds of things (textiles, jewellery, scarves, vintage clothing, gifts reminiscent of days gone by, cakes, Cotford Chilli Company produce----all sorts!).... upstairs and downstairs there is a fantastic array of goods on offer.

When I went in there, the whole place was a-buzz with people browsing, guys parked in 'the creche-for-husbands' [aka 'the bar'], ladies enjoying coffee, cup-cakes and a chin-wag seated around the tables----

Well done, Laura for organising such a lovely event and to Sam and all the team for looking after us all----

Fabulous!  Smiley

IP Logged

tags
Distinguished Member

Reply #238 - 07. Sep 2013 at 13:56

And so it starts and presumably a presage for when the church hall is built and has an event. The road jammed with cars, making negotiating junctions precarious and a car parked outside my house when I got home (even though I am some streets and a distance from the Chapel) preventing me from parking as I usually do.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #239 - 07. Sep 2013 at 15:08

Tags, come to the Friends of Dene Barton Fete at the School hall on Saturday 28th September ------ there's a sign in the Bric-A-Brac department that says "Parking Reserved for Ferraris only" --- you could pop that on your parking space and that should do the trick! (but get there early [2pm] 'cos there's only one sign ----and it could be snapped up! Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print