Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print
The Chapel (Read 90700 times)
russ. m
Advanced Member

burge meadow
Re: The Chapel
Reply #15 - 27. Mar 2012 at 19:53

on the websites ive seen that are advertising the chapel for sale they are all selling it as a pub

also from the description the kitchen is still fully fitted. so if it was going to be anything else other than a pub/restaurant i would imagine the recievers would have removed this high value kit.

also worth mentioning the price is down to 299,950 which dosnt look promising Sad Huh

IP Logged

russ. m
Advanced Member

burge meadow
Reply #16 - 27. Mar 2012 at 20:04

IP Logged

Tj
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 28. Mar 2012 at 10:16

Gosh, for once the Forum is behind the times with local gossip!
There has indeed been an offer made to re-open the place as a pub but the prospective buyers are having a wee problem obtaining finance. Watch this space!  Smiley

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #18 - 28. Mar 2012 at 12:11

Making an offer to re-open the place as a pub is one thing,  obtaining finance is another and difficult if you don't have cash in the bank, but is a pre-requisite to buying, opening and staying open.
« Last Edit: 28. Mar 2012 at 15:29 by Jimmy »  

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #19 - 28. Mar 2012 at 16:40

Quote:
Gosh, for once the Forum is behind the times with local gossip!

Hi, Tj; I don't think it's that the Forum is behind with the local gossip----- I think it's more that the Forum members deal with fact.

Several villagers have heard who has put an offer in for the Chapel and what their intentions are----but, as with all conveyancing transactions, it will be subject to contract and their could be a multitude of reasons why it may not happen. I, for one, wish them well-----but I am also of the 'what will be, will be' school of thinking--------

IP Logged

Foxy Resident

Reply #20 - 30. Mar 2012 at 08:56

I thought the Church had acquired land behind the Co-op for a place of worship.  Bring back the pub - after all where else is there to go if we ever get snowed in again!  It's so nice to be able to pop out for a drink within walking distance.  Just hope it's run properly this time and caters for the needs of the villagers and managed by someone with an idea of what good customer service is.

IP Logged

Al Murray

Reply #21 - 30. Mar 2012 at 14:39

We have heard the local gossip about the pub for a few weeks but amongst so many other rumours its difficult to sus out whats what and see the wood from the trees.

I for one wish the buyers the best of luck with a pub, I've a pub in my garden in the village and have an audience of around 55 people, the drinks are at supermarket prices you can bring children, snacks, dogs, play darts, watch TV, big Cols been in for Guitareoke and Elvis is appreaing soon, we watched the rugby and have quizzes and play music by request, had 3 surprise parties and lots more. We have scratchings, pickled eggs, onions and bar snacks aswell. Although we only open on a Wednesday and Friday and some weekends we struggle some nights to get more than one person in and other nights 20 - 30 people. New Years we had 50+ people and I supplied 250 worth of fireworks and everyone brought their own buffet. I just do this as a hobby and make no money from it , it will be a hard life I'd imagine for real. But if my experiences over the last 6 months can help I certainly will.

Want to know more ??? or come along PM me

PS If it does reopen the new owners will have my full support (which would mean closing my doors to regular openings)

IP Logged

NewVegGrower

Cotford St Luke
Reply #22 - 30. Mar 2012 at 21:54

Al - is this a big fantasy or a con or both?! you sell drinks? don't you need a licence for that?!!! am I being a bit thick here? or have I been missing all the fun. Where the heck do you live and do your neighbours join in? Huh

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #23 - 31. Mar 2012 at 00:09

NewVegGrower wrote on 30. Mar 2012 at 21:54:
don't you need a licence for that?!!!

Al Murray wrote on 30. Mar 2012 at 14:39:
the drinks are at supermarket prices

Supermarket prices...? So, I guess you buy it at the supermarket and take it along with you, if you're going, then...? I don't think you need a licence to have friends at your house who happen to bring their own drink with them, do you? "Bring a bottle" parties would be raided by the Excise all the time if that were the case and, as such and by extension, we'd never have discovered the joys of fondu in the '70s/'80s.

Still, perhaps that's not necessarily a bad thing! Talk about the ultimate wine and cheese party!  Grin

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

zeralynx
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #24 - 31. Mar 2012 at 09:35

no not a con I go there and so do a few other members from here. Yes you have to bring your own but the they are kept behind the bar and served to you as you wish in the appropriate glasses. We all got together over a few weekends and decorated it and had great fun doing it,  Al seems to remember how many you have drunk and you can leave them there until the next time and they have not disappeared. We've even got the kebab man delivering to there on a few occasions. You should get intouch with him, it is by invite only but I'm sure he'lll let you in. We all just have to remember to bring a few pennies for the donation jar towards to water and electric and keep the noise down when late. Not that there has been but if there is any trouble we have to remember its someones house and have respect for that.

IP Logged

her_in_doors
Exceptional Member

Reply #25 - 31. Mar 2012 at 09:38

Grin Oh Tempus, am now picturing you (blurry pic since no one knows what you actually look like!) in a pinny stirring a fondue!!

As a (fairly) regular visitor to Al's pub, yes it is bring your own booze - Al then mans the 'bar' pouring your drink for you as and when you require.  Nibbles are supplied by Al and atmosphere and fab company are supplied in huge quantity by the 'locals'.
It's a wonderful place and very occasionally they have a really lovely little barmaid of a dubious 'eastend' origin.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #26 - 31. Mar 2012 at 10:57

Strange the way different images are evoked by comments on here, Her_In_Doors-----I can imagine  Tempus enjoying the consumption of fondued savouries rather than being involved in the preparation of them ---- I often wondered why he wears that cravat-----obviously it doubles up quite nicely as a napkin ------  Wink

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #27 - 31. Mar 2012 at 12:21

I tend to pour my own. Then again I drink mine twice as fast as anyone else and I'm not known for my patience!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

zeralynx
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #28 - 11. Jun 2012 at 12:04

Attached is a letter from the receivers as to the current play with the Chapel, future use is unknown or unclarified at the moment.

chapel_email_001.jpg (46 KB | 187 )
chapel_email_001.jpg

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #29 - 11. Jun 2012 at 13:11

Interesting. ...

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 18
Send Topic Print