Guitaraoke !! (Read 67743 times)
marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Re: Guitaraoke !!
Reply #255 - 21. Jul 2013 at 11:39

It's not always just about the music------

Somehow, when Colin's playing away from our village, he has the knack of drawing those who are strangers to each other, together ---

----so it was in the Beer Garden at Halse last evening.

A perfect summer evening and the five of us from Cotford sat sedately --- until into the first couple of songs of his set.

Y'know how that strumming of the guitar, the lyrics to the songs have you wriggling so much on your seat that your feet can't remain still any longer no matter that you don't know the others on the dance floor----- well---it was like that! A guy who had the appearance that he had arrived on a surf board and was maybe of Australian heritage whisked one of us to the floor (and it wasn't me!) and led her in a sort of salsa through the song. That warm gesture was the cue for the rest of us to join in----

The 'Open mic night' revealed some talent from vocalists who came from Fitzhead and Halse and we were treated to favourites such as 'Summer of '69' (cheers, Col!!! Smiley), 'Brown-Eyed Girl',   'Hi, Ho, Silver Lining', 'Angels', 'The Wonder of You', ' 'Cos I Luv You' (and of course the 'My Ding-a-Ling' and 'Alice' sing-alongs  Wink ) ......... oh, a whole evening of non-stop music.....

----so---- too shy to say 'hello' to the groups at other tables on arrival, had us exchanging names and a promise to come there again on leaving-------

A great night ---- thank you!  Smiley
« Last Edit: 21. Jul 2013 at 13:01 by marilyn »  

IP Logged

Colin
Exceptional Member

Reply #256 - 22. Jul 2013 at 10:39

Thanks for your support again Marilyn - they've asked me when I can play there again  Smiley
Was a great evening and great fun to play with Smiley some very talented vocalists and musicians joining in with the fun.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #257 - 23. Jan 2014 at 12:14

---sometimes, if I'm at a loose end and need something cheerful to read, I thumb through 'old' topics on the Forum---

----and I can categorically state that this is one of a couple of threads that provides an Instant-feel-good-factor----

Those were the days; Guitareoke and Blues Brothers' nights were like a party-in-a-box-----once the lid was lifted it was non-stop music, singing, dancing----

---- did we ever properly thank you, Col and Ray (and all the band) for all the times you gave of your time and talents to entertain us----?

So often, good times fade from reality and become only memories------but those times built friendships which will not fade, those memories bring smiles which time can't erase------

Thank you........

IP Logged

Colin
Exceptional Member

Reply #258 - 24. Jan 2014 at 11:42

Thanks Marilyn xx
Although as you know I'm hoping to be moving to New Zealand this year, I'm not gone yet (still waiting for visa etc to go through) so although the band has taken a break for the time being, I'm still available for Guitaraoke if anyone wants to organise one.
Also before I leave for new Zealand will be having a farewell party at which I hope to get the band together for (possibly) one last time, Watch this space  Smiley
xx

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #259 - 24. Jan 2014 at 16:24

Colin wrote on 24. Jan 2014 at 11:42:
I'm still available for Guitaraoke if anyone wants to organise one.
Also before I leave for new Zealand will be having a farewell party at which I hope to get the band together for (possibly) one last time, Watch this space 

--- will see if we can organise something for a Guitareoke night, then, Colin---  Smiley

------ and that would be great if the Valetones could put on a gig before you leave for pastures new----- Smiley

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #260 - 24. Jan 2014 at 17:40

New Zealand's gain will certainly be Cotford's loss! I hope that all goes well for you Colin. However we can't let you go without a night to remember, so go to it Marilyn, lets have a bash eh?

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #261 - 25. Feb 2017 at 12:51

He may be far away in New Zealand but a Guitareoke moment just happened at my address-------

I'm hoping that you still log onto the Forum, Col, because I've no other way to contact you and a beautiful bouquet just arrived from you and Vanessa---

Thank you so much ---- xx

IP Logged

Colin
Exceptional Member

Reply #262 - 28. Feb 2017 at 09:14

Hi Marilyn,
yes I still do watch the forum.
You are most welcome - our condolences stay strong - we're hoping to come back to UK for a Holiday in a couple months or so and will make sure we pop in to see you and whats happening at the Chapel.
xxxx ( coz I luv you)

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #263 - 28. Feb 2017 at 12:12

Colin wrote on 28. Feb 2017 at 09:14:
Hi Marilyn,
You are most welcome - our condolences stay strong - we're hoping to come back to UK for a Holiday in a couple months or so and will make sure we pop in to see you and whats happening at the Chapel.
xxxx ( coz I luv you)

Hi Colin
Good to hear from you. Chapel is still closed I'm afraid.
For the information of anyone who may wish to know, Richard Power's funeral will be at Taunton Crematorium on Wednesday 8th March at 3:30 pm. He will be greatly missed.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #264 - 01. Mar 2017 at 18:54

Colin wrote on 28. Feb 2017 at 09:14:
Hi Marilyn,
xxxx ( coz I luv you)

You cannot know what seeds you sowed in this village with those memorable Guitareoke nights, Col----

We got to know so many of our neighbours in the party atmosphere of those evenings and I am overwhelmed by the support my family and I have received through the many caring messages that have been sent to us by the community of Cotford in this past week----

Saying "Thank you" to everyone seems such an inadequate phrase at times like this ----

We will look forward to your visit in a couple of months----just don't forget to pack that guitar and there's a patch of parkland right behind The Chapel which would welcome the encore of some foot tappin' rock-and-roll----  Wink (---'coz we luv you, too!)

P.S. --- the flowers are as beautiful and fresh as the day they arrived ---

IP Logged

Colin
Exceptional Member

Reply #265 - 09. Mar 2017 at 09:15

XXXX KissXXXX

IP Logged

Colin
Exceptional Member

Reply #266 - 15. Jun 2017 at 12:10

Coming back to the UK 30th June and staying for a couple weeks to visit family and friends. Will make a point of coming out to Cotford to catch up with everyone - will not have my guitar with me ( unfortunately haven't really played it much since I've been in NZ - pretty poor music scene here!) Be nice to see all the old crew and The 'Cotford massive' - is the pub open again now?

IP Logged

Jimmy
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #267 - 15. Jun 2017 at 13:04

Colin wrote on 15. Jun 2017 at 12:10:
is the pub open again now?

Yes

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #268 - 15. Jun 2017 at 18:53

Colin wrote on 15. Jun 2017 at 12:10:
Coming back to the UK 30th June and staying for a couple weeks to visit family and friends. Will make a point of coming out to Cotford to catch up with everyone - will not have my guitar with me ( unfortunately haven't really played it much since I've been in NZ - pretty poor music scene here!) Be nice to see all the old crew and The 'Cotford massive' - is the pub open again now?

How lovely to come back from a little holiday and find that guitareoke (without the guitar so just the 'eoke') will be on the schedule in the next couple of weeks!  Smiley

We will be watching this space and so looking forward to seeing you, Col and Vanessa ----  Smiley

IP Logged

Nobody
Extraordinary Member

Cotford St Luke
Reply #269 - 16. Jun 2017 at 09:02

marilyn wrote on 15. Jun 2017 at 18:53:
(without the guitar so just the 'eoke')

Sort of eoke koeke then! Look forward to seeing you Guys up at the Chapel. Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print