Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Dog Etiquette (Read 51682 times)
Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Re: Dog Etiquette
Reply #60 - 20. Jan 2010 at 10:14

A few years ago I was in Nice. The sea front there, Promenade des Anglais, was littered with heaps. Disgusting, it was. Rollerbladers slalomed between the turds and well-dressed haughty women with toy poodles (never a truer name!), decoratively clipped, blithely contributed to the mess. No-one picked any of it up. The beach was the same - and the packages were harder to spot amongst the pebbles. Having dog mess cleared up as it is made is far better and nicer and civilised than these apparently halcyon days of 70s Britain Peas is nostalgic for, especially if walking along the early-2000s Cote d'Azur is anything to go by.

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #61 - 22. Jan 2010 at 14:15

Something I saw whilst walking (wading!) back from BL this morning prompts me to wonder if the private land that Peas refers to is a field with a path through it? Of course, if it's farmland belonging to Peas the path crosses then all bets are off but if not then the fouling law applies (because of the footpath) and the presence of the path on the land does not imply a right to freely run a dog over the land, stray from the path or allow the dog to foul the path or the adjoining land (especially as the field in question is used to graze stock). Additionally, permission from the owner of the land to stray from the path doesn't imply permission to absolve oneself of any responsibility to dispose of the dogs deposits

Perhaps Peas will clarify, especially as I enjoy the countryside but don't get much chance to enjoy the wider view as I am too busy staring at the ground just ahead to make sure I'm not about to put my boot into a dog-egg!! Walking up the path from Burge Crescent to Burge Farm Lane this morning there was a distinct odour of dog mess and loads of it about, blending in with the mud, that almost drowned out the other smells of wet, rotting vegetation.

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #62 - 22. Jan 2010 at 17:00

I'd like to add that it is no joke when you dodge a late-sighted heap and the back wheel of the bike catches it, mushes it and then sprays it all over the frame and up the back of your lycra.

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

henry small
Extraordinary Member

Reply #63 - 22. Jan 2010 at 17:45

I don't think those lazy dog owners care, but makes you think if we have to try and dodge it they must to when they take their dogs out for its next walk, surely if they are that disgusted about picking it up they would be more disgusted about troding in it and taking in their homes?.

IP Logged

Peas

Reply #64 - 23. Jan 2010 at 13:07

Rest assured there is absolutely no danger of any of you stepping in anything that my dogs produce whether its on my land or in public.
Just ask yourselves this, unless you buy organic, what has the food that you eat been grown in or sprayed with????  I knew someone who had a vine growing over sewer and yes the roots had broken through....... Best grapes I ever tasted!

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Reply #65 - 23. Jan 2010 at 13:50

The difference between livestock manure and human/dog waste is significant. I don't think many gardeners dig dog mess into their cabbage patch! The difference is meat. Horses and cows and the like live on grass and vegetation. We live on meat - and processed meat at that. Whereas there is a hepatitis risk from human waste I'm fairly certain this isn't a problem with horse dung.

You wouldn't catch me knowingly eating anything that had been taking nutrition from raw human sewage!

IP Logged

henry small
Extraordinary Member

Reply #66 - 23. Jan 2010 at 15:21

Horse and cow es are herbivores dogs are carnivores, and i think you will find it is illegal to put the waste of any animal that eats meat on crops, and eating grapes that you knew were being fed by sewage sorry but that's the most revolting thing Ive heard for a long time rather you than me.

IP Logged

Peas

Reply #67 - 23. Jan 2010 at 18:37

How nice of you to look down your noses at me.

Dont knock anything until you try it is my motto.

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Reply #68 - 23. Jan 2010 at 19:19

No-one's gazing along their respiratory protuberance at you, Peas - just ask your doctor about the advisability of eating crops grown on human waste next thyme* you see him/her. Or Google it. At the risk of being misunderstood, you might find yourself regretting your consumptive actions subsequent to a little background reading.

* Did anyone spot what I did there...? Grin

IP Logged

henry small
Extraordinary Member

Reply #69 - 23. Jan 2010 at 21:06

pease I'm a gypsy how the heck can i look down on any one lol. Grin Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Peas

Reply #70 - 24. Jan 2010 at 11:53

henry small wrote on 23. Jan 2010 at 21:06:
pease I'm a gypsy how the heck can i look down on any one lol.

I know Henry....... and I luvs ya for it!

IP Logged

Ally

Reply #71 - 20. Jul 2010 at 20:03

I find myself constantly looking out for dog poo as I walk my daughter down to the school, it is like an obstacle course! My daughter has trodden in the wretched stuff a couple of times now and i have been through it several times with my pushchair. It is worse in the Autumn when it gets cunningly disguised amongst the leaf litter. I have lived in Cotford for 3 years now and not once seen a dog warden. Who are they? Where are they? And why aren't they doing their job??? Angry

IP Logged

Mike Rigby

Reply #72 - 05. Apr 2011 at 00:20

Hi, this is a perennial problm in lots of places in the locality.  Not the most glamorous of issues but I've made tackling the issue in Cotford, Lydeard and the surrounding villages a central plank of my campaign in the Taunton Deane election on 5th May.  Personally, I think we need more dog waste bins AND at least occasional enforcement to send a message that if you don't clear up after your dog, it'll cost you.  If you agree, perhaps you'll consider voting for me.  www.mikerigby.org

Happy to hear of other ideas too......

Mike Rigby
County Councillor, Lydeard Division, Somerset County Council
WWW CouncillorRigby  
IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #73 - 07. Apr 2011 at 19:41

Where do you intend getting the money from for the extra bins Mr Rigby? It appears TDBC cant even afford to run their recycling centre as they used to. Huh
« Last Edit: 08. Apr 2011 at 06:33 by brooklynodog »  

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

egor110
Exceptional Member

Reply #74 - 07. Apr 2011 at 22:03

Also i'd guess dog poo bin collections and dog wardens aren't going to be at the top of taunton deane's list of essentials, when we have schools, social services , care for the elderly which are far more important issues.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print