Dog Etiquette (Read 49156 times)
Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Re: Dog Etiquette
Reply #45 - 18. Jan 2010 at 06:51

All this "you" and "your" is all very interesting, Egor, save one small detail; I don't own a cat. Or a dog for that matter. I did once own a hamster as a child but that succumbed to the rigours of time many years ago and went to the great exercise wheel in the sky.

Further more, it wasn't me that determined that cats were "wild" for the purposes of road traffic laws.

The one cat and many rabbits and the odd pheasant that have succumbed to the wheels and the front of my car over the years were all definitely dead - cranial impact with the front air dam of a Mk2 Cavalier at 40mph tends to have that effect - a salutary lesson for the boy racers of the area whom insist on dashing between speed humps in a village where a lot small children are frequently to be found along the streets and pathways.

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

egor110
Exceptional Member

Reply #46 - 18. Jan 2010 at 12:37

Regardless of you and yours or them and there's my point stil remains the same people seem to have the same attitude to cats as there kids once they leave there house all parental responsabilites end, it's ok for cats to go to the toilet in others gardens it seems to be ok for general rubbish and broken glass to be littered around the village.

Re hitting a cat in your car, it seems that's where you and i are different , if our cat was killed by somebody i'd like to think they'd at least phone up to say your cats been in a accident so we can do something about it rather than letting our kids spot it first.

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #47 - 18. Jan 2010 at 13:30

I believe you are legally responsible for reporting it to the Police if you hit a dog or other large animal like a deer (not sure about a badger, but I think not) You dont have to report a cat, squirrel or other such animal.
I also believe if you own a dog you are legally responsible for everything it does or causes, but a cat is legally free to do what it likes, where it likes, with no recourse to the Law. I will happily stand corrected on any of these points, and please note before anyone has a go, they do not necessarilly reflect what I feel about the issue personally.  Sad

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

Enq

Reply #48 - 18. Jan 2010 at 13:42

It stands to reason that one should take responsibility for things they 'own', be that dogs, cats or even kids.

Most dog owners I meet do in fact clean up after their animals; it's just a lazy and irresponsible few that do not and give dog owners a bad name.

The dog wardens - as has been pointed out - cover large areas but it's worth reporting transgressions to them, particularly if they happen regularly with the same dog. They can then plan to try and catch said transgressor in the act and fine them.

Cats are a bit harder to control than dogs. I have one and if someone told me my cat had gone to the toilet in their garden I'd go and clear it up, but there is little one can do to exercise complete control over cats.

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #49 - 18. Jan 2010 at 13:52

Quote:
I believe you are legally responsible for reporting it to the Police if you hit a dog or other large animal like a deer (not sure about a badger, but I think not) You dont have to report a cat, squirrel or other such animal.
I also believe if you own a dog you are legally responsible for everything it does or causes, but a cat is legally free to do what it likes, where it likes, with no recourse to the Law. I will happily stand corrected on any of these points, and please note before anyone has a go, they do not necessarilly reflect what I feel about the issue personally.

From a link on the previous page (bold bits by me):-

Duties in case of accident - Section 170, Road Traffic Act 1988

Duty of driver to stop, report accident and give information or documents

(1) This section applies in a case where, owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road, an accident occurs by which—

(a) personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that motor vehicle, or

(b) damage is caused—

(i) to a vehicle other than that motor vehicle or a trailer drawn by that motor vehicle, or

(ii) to an animal other than an animal in or on that motor vehicle or a trailer drawn by that motor vehicle, or

(iii) to any other property constructed on, fixed to, growing in or otherwise forming part of the land on which the road in question is situated or land adjacent to such land.

(2) The driver of the motor vehicle must stop and, if required to do so by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.

(3) If for any reason the driver of the motor vehicle does not give his name and address under subsection (2) above, he must report the accident.

(4) A person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) above is guilty of an offence.

(5) If, in a case where this section applies by virtue of subsection (1)(a) above, the driver of the vehicle does not at the time of the accident produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act—

(a) to a constable, or

(b) to some person who, having reasonable grounds for so doing, has required him to produce it,

the driver must report the accident and produce such a certificate or other evidence.

This subsection does not apply to the driver of an invalid carriage.

(6) To comply with a duty under this section to report an accident or to produce such a certificate of insurance or security, or other evidence, as is mentioned in section 165(2)(a) of this Act, the driver—

(a) must do so at a police station or to a constable, and

(b) must do so as soon as is reasonably practicable and, in any case, within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the accident.

(7) A person who fails to comply with a duty under subsection (5) above is guilty of an offence, but he shall not be convicted by reason only of a failure to produce a certificate or other evidence if, within five days after the occurrence of the accident, the certificate or other evidence is produced at a police station that was specified by him at the time when the accident was reported.

(8) In this section “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog.

So, farmyard animals, basically. Not cat or squirrel, deer or badger!
« Last Edit: 18. Jan 2010 at 15:36 by Anvil »  

IP Logged

brooklynodog
Master Member

Cotford st Luke
Reply #50 - 18. Jan 2010 at 14:26

"So, farm animals, basically. Not cat or squirrel, deer or badger"

As I thought, though wasnt sure about the deer, although to be on the safe side if you hit one I would report it as they are farmed, and you wouldnt know if it was wild or not.

A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #51 - 18. Jan 2010 at 16:39

Thank you, Anvil, for the way you put so much time and care into presenting the facts to us on important issues.
I learn much from reading your posts; the information contained therein is always well substantiated.  Smiley

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Forum Oracle
Master of Village Posts

Also available in sarcastic.

This space available to rent.
Reply #52 - 19. Jan 2010 at 17:09

Quote:
our cat

And presumably you can account for each and every cable your cat's ever laid, then, Egor...?

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

egor110
Exceptional Member

Reply #53 - 19. Jan 2010 at 17:22

No because i don't own a cat, i was using cat and dog as examples of pets rather than deer, squirrels or badgers which are not kept as pets but are wild animals in the 'true' sense of the word.
On the whole dog ownership debate i've just come back from taking our 3 dogs out and gained a black labrador, he joined us on the football field where we stayed for 30mins hoping the owner would catch up, then followed us into the field behind the school and the one after that, then back to the football field at no point was the owner or anyone calling for there lost dog.
I think you should have to get a license to own as a dog as some people just take the p**s, if the dogs collar had a phone number on i'd have walked the dog home but it didn't.

IP Logged

Peas

Reply #54 - 19. Jan 2010 at 18:00

Anal about dog mess!

Growing up in the 60's and 70's I recall that dogs roamed relatively free in most areas, the result being that there was a fair amount of dog mess scattered over pavements and footpaths, I also recall that we didn't step in it very often as we tended to look where we were going and if we did tread in it we washed it off.

I know its not pleasant and can be downright dangerous.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Toxicariasis.htm

But surely its important to wash hands and to educate the young as to the dangers of eating said mess!

In my life I promise you I have trodden in much more unpleasant stuff than dog mess - if that and a few unemptied bins are all you have to worry about in life then I wish you well and hope that the going really doesn't get tough! Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #55 - 19. Jan 2010 at 18:18

egor110 wrote on 19. Jan 2010 at 17:22:
I think you should have to get a license to own a dog 

Until 1987 it was compulsory for dog owners to hold a dog license. At that time it cost 37p a year.
However, dog licences were only held by about half of dog owners as this law had long ceased to command any public respect.
In 1990, Dog Wardens were appointed to round up and return any stray dogs to their homes. This 1990 Act also gave local authorities the power to enforce existing legislation that dogs should wear collars and address tags in public places - but no fixed penalty scheme was introduced to back this up.

(I just read this on the net; but I can remember always having a licence in the time that we had dogs.)

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #56 - 19. Jan 2010 at 18:42

Hi, Peas; I won't quote your post but the point you made in directing readers to the link to the site explaining the dangers of Toxicariasis is valid.

Apart from the degradation and humiliation of Delboy's little one slipping on a vile heap of dog's excrement as he reported on 16th January, it is the very real danger of disease that we all need to be aware of and this should prompt us to clean up after our animals.

IP Logged

egor110
Exceptional Member

Reply #57 - 19. Jan 2010 at 18:47

More importantly it's totally aviodable, if you buy a dog you pick up its poo , if the thought of doing that makes you sick then don't buy a dog.

IP Logged

henry small
Extraordinary Member

Reply #58 - 19. Jan 2010 at 21:12

peas, i found your post ignorant, i to remember the 70's and the dog mess on the footpath's I and many other children stood in it more than once as we walked along talking and laughing, perhaps you didn't have any friends to distract you,I wonder if you would be of the same view if a dog messed on your drive and you or one of your family slipped in it, or if one of your family wer blinded by it , if worrying about the community we live in and my fellow human beings makes me Anal, than I plead guilty as charged. Angry

IP Logged

Anvil
Supreme Member

The dark side of the moan.
Reply #59 - 20. Jan 2010 at 10:08

Quote:
Growing up in the 60's and 70's I recall that dogs roamed relatively free in most areas, the result being that there was a fair amount of dog mess scattered over pavements and footpaths, I also recall that we didn't step in it very often as we tended to look where we were going and if we did tread in it we washed it off.

Yeah, well - we're a developed country and have thus moved on and improved things since then. I've been to a few third world  rat-holes in my time and I don't see why we need to emulate them (I'm talking about the sort of place where the sewers are open culverts along the side of the streets and rubbish is everywhere and mangy mutts run free, leaving their packages all over the place)!

P.S. "Anal about dog mess" - very witty!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print