Cotford History (Read 48811 times)
marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Re: Cotford History
Reply #90 - 29. May 2010 at 12:44

Hiya, Cherry MC and welcome to the Forum.  Smiley

That's interesting that you've known the village for 20 years and have seen the closure of the hospital and the new development of Cotford.

You wrote in your last post that you used to be able to use the social club and the hospital shop.

Where was the shop in those days?

http://marilyn.webme.co.uk --- Woolly jacket and flip-flops...

IP Logged

Tempus Fugit
Master Member
Master of Village Posts

This space available to rent.
Reply #91 - 30. May 2010 at 09:36

Quote:
Then a few years later the local residents in South, West and North Villas successfully managed to stop planners

So, if we all work together it is possible to see off unwanted development!

In a related aside, I saw an interesting piece in the news the other day whereby some villagers saw off some unwanted, er, "development" by getting the local farmers to park up next to it with full muck spreaders and make preperations to switch them on.  Shocked

Wink

Science - making religion look stupid since the 17th century.

IP Logged

CherryMC

Reply #92 - 30. May 2010 at 20:08

Hi Marilyn - it was inside the old hospital in the wing which is on the right hand side of the clock tower - just a typical hospital shop really - selling basics to patients and visitors. We were able to get a newspaper and milk and our kids were able to by sweets etc! So we really missed it for about 10yrs until the Co Op opened!!

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #93 - 31. May 2010 at 18:20

Thanks, CherryMC!

As this will still be the 'history channel' for Cotford in 50 years time (?) perhaps we should log our more modern 'historical' events here:

the village shop opened (under the Spar umbrella) at 8am on Saturday 18th. March 2006 ---- I know because my grandson, who was 9 at the time, insisted I took him there early so that he could be the first customer! It then came under the management of the 'Nisa' group for a while and, last year, the Co-op took over and improved this vital amenity.

'The Chapel', having undergone a total interior redesign and refurbishment and a new roof, opened its doors as our pub and restaurant on June 14th 2008.

Does anyone remember when the School opened? --- I think it was 2003 but I'm not sure!

IP Logged

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Reply #94 - 31. May 2010 at 19:25

Our granddaughter was one of the first children to start in the reception class at Cotford St Luke School when it opened in September 2003. She has been very happy there. The children in Cotford are very fortunate to have such a lovely school.
Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #95 - 31. May 2010 at 23:06

Thank you, Mrs. Tiggywinkle!

I agree, we are fortunate to have such a lovely school - all the children seem to be very happy there; there is a good camaraderie and firm friendships are formed.

I suppose the first group of little 'pioneers' who started in reception when the school opened and helped to mould its foundation, have now left for secondary school.

We are fortunate, also, to have the use of the school halls for the various social functions and clubs in the village.

I think the hospital closed around 1996 and the development of the village started - does anyone know when the first residents moved in?

IP Logged

Mrs Tiggywinkle

Reply #96 - 01. Jun 2010 at 08:55

Those first reception class children leave Cotford in July and head for pastures new. I wish them all happy times at their new schools in September.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #97 - 01. Jun 2010 at 17:52

Mrs Tiggywinkle wrote on 01. Jun 2010 at 08:55:
Those first reception class children leave Cotford in July and head for pastures new. I wish them all happy times at their new schools in September.

----so do I, Mrs. Tiggywinkle! I hope, too, that in years to come (perhaps when they are taking their own little ones to Cotford School!) they will feel a pride in knowing that they helped the staff to develop the school through its first key stages-------  Smiley

IP Logged

David Austin

Reply #98 - 06. Jul 2010 at 17:08

Members of this forum with an interest in the history of Cotford St Luke will, of course, know of Merrifield Children's Unit.  You may be intersted to know that I have written a novel ‘inspired’ by Merrifield - indeed, I visited Cotford St Luke while conducting research for the book.  It is due to be published August/September 2010. As soon as it is out it will be available from Amazon and most online booksellers, and by order from local bookshops. Here are the details:

David Austin, Delivered Unto Lions, CheckPoint Press.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #99 - 06. Jul 2010 at 18:13

Welcome to the Forum, David!  Smiley

We will be interested in reading your novel ----- maybe it should be stocked in our local Co-op shop!  Smiley

IP Logged

David Austin

Reply #100 - 08. Jul 2010 at 09:25

Thanks for the welcome, Marilyn.

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #101 - 12. Oct 2010 at 20:13

A piece of Cotford's history was returned to Shaun at the pub by the police recently -

The banner from St. Luke's Church (now The Chapel) had been removed by intruders who gained entry to the derelict building a few years ago. It was soon afterwards recovered by the police and had lain, forgotten, in the police station until recently.

It is in good condition and Shaun intends it to be displayed in its rightful home!   Smiley

IP Logged

zeralynx
Exceptional Member

cotford st luke
Reply #102 - 12. Oct 2010 at 20:50

Thats good news, was that draped over the bar stools for a few days ? I thought it was something from the football team

IP Logged

marilyn
Forum Oracle
Village Poet

Words --
Reply #103 - 12. Oct 2010 at 22:50

zeralynx wrote on 12. Oct 2010 at 20:50:
Thats good news, was that draped over the bar stools for a few days ?

Yes, Zeralynx, it's the blue banner that was draped over the bar stool.

IP Logged

David Austin

Reply #104 - 04. Nov 2010 at 12:26

I hope you'll all excuse me for posting about this again, but anyone with an interest in Merrifield Children's Unit, whose site part of Cotford now stands on, may be interested in my book, Delivered Unto Lions, which has now been published.

The book is, essentially, a factually-based novel, with names, etc., changed to protect identities.  It is set in the 1970s in the fictional children's psychiatric unit of Oakdale in Sussex (which is largely modelled on Merrifield).  There is even a direct reference to Merrifield on page 99:

'There aren't many units like this around,' he answered. 'I was supposed to be going to one in Somerset, but it was full up.'

Anyway, Delivered Unto Lions is published by CheckPoint Press (ISBN 978-1-906628-21-5) and is available from Amazon. In due course it will be stocked by many other online booksellers and will be available by order from local bookshops.

For more information visit http://www.davidaustin.eu

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11
Send Topic Print